Dom0 update => Qubes Update no longer available

I ran an update this morning and tried running qubes update again and nothing happened. I also tried the command line ‘sudo qubesctl update.qubes-dom0’ and I get:

‘update.qubes-dom0’ is not available.
DOM0 configuration failed, not continuing.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Hi joe.blough,

I don’t know the solution but I also have this issue.

[toor@dom0 bin]$ sudo qubes-update-gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 58, in do_activate
    self.perform_setup()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 155, in perform_setup
    self.intro_page.populate_vm_list(self.qapp, self.settings)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 106, in populate_vm_list
    self.refresh_update_list(settings.update_if_stale)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 122, in refresh_update_list
    in output.decode().split("\n", maxsplit=1)[0]
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IndexError: list index out of range
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 58, in do_activate
    self.perform_setup()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/updater.py", line 155, in perform_setup
    self.intro_page.populate_vm_list(self.qapp, self.settings)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 106, in populate_vm_list
    self.refresh_update_list(settings.update_if_stale)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/qui/updater/intro_page.py", line 122, in refresh_update_list
    in output.decode().split("\n", maxsplit=1)[0]
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IndexError: list index out of range

Dito. Looks quite similar:

Qubes Update GUI stopped working for me too yesterday, after installing latest dom0 updates. I am getting the same stack trace as @stcheetah. I think the issue is different from the ticket @OvalZero mentioned, so I created a new one:

Really unfortunate that installing an update broke the updater application. How am I now supposed to install the fix when it is made available.

2 Likes

Edit the script according to the (then available) diffs on github.

Yeah, I will get it working. But I guess the developers will have to publish instructions on their web page or something, since this seems to have broke for quite many users. I wonder if it affects everyone, or just some of us. Either way, worse things have happened in the history of operating systems, like when an Ubuntu update broke the X server completely for a large group of users many years ago.

I am a little new here but I also have been getting very long update times when using the GUI.

The update times heavily depend on your uplink connection speed (and tor status). As long as it’s working … [TM]

The problem that arose from the latest updates is/was, that you can’t no longer start qubes-updates. Neither via gui nor via dom0-terminal. But it seems, that auto update still works.

Same here.

$ sudo qubesctl --show-output state.sls update.qubes-dom0

to update dom0 and

$ sudo qubesctl --show-output --skip-dom0 --templates state.sls update.qubes-vm

to update all templates still work

2 Likes

@marmarek, it seems that quite a few users are affected by this. I see that #9253 was just closed as a duplicate of #9203, which was already closed as fixed last week. Are affected users required to take any special action here? If so, we should publish an announcement with instructions.

I am glad I saw this, I was about to run the update.

2 Likes

The update is in current-testing and should be good for stable in few days. If somebody affected by the issue could confirm (by installing the update in dom0 from current-testing repo and retrying), that would help.
IIUC the issue happens only when no template updates are actually available to be installed, so the practical impact is small (if there are some updates to be installed, then the tool works).

4 Likes

I can confirm by selecting Enable all testing updates in the global config and then using the workaround above downloads the latest fixes. Also, before downloading the fix, the gui is available via the update notification icon whenever it appears.

4 Likes

I actually have template update checks disabled for all my templates, because the update check for templates do not go out over the update proxy (sys-whonix), but whatever network the qube started from the template has (sometimes sys-firewall). This is a potential anonymity problem in my case, since I have custom repositories. But looking closer at the code, actually, it looks like templates will be considered to have updates if no update check has been done for over 7 days too, so I agree that this is likely not a serious issue and will resolve itself for everyone in 7 days.

I don’t want to install testing packages on my system, so I guess I’ll just wait a week until the updater starts working again.

1 Like

Right, I am just commenting on the fact that I have noticed glitchy behavior from the updater.

I actually updated today and Dom0 appears to just be spinning wheel of death. Then I will get a complete with a check mark. Previously It did show a status with a % bar was this removed?