Dodgy Updates for Fedora 32/dom0 - How to verify what was installed

In dom0: $ sudo qubes-dom0-update qt5ct qt5-qtstyleplugins (from dark theme for qubes manager forum thread)

Sys-whonix terminal opens.
Two updates get installed for fedora 32, both rather large 30 and 45 MB, no info on what it was.
Then qt5ct packages are installed.
Checked /var/log/xen and /var/log/qubes sys-whonix logs. Cant find any dom0/fedora 32 logs.
As far as I can see no official updates since 5th Feb full release which I installed a week ago.

How can I verify what was installed? Why does fedora 32 update at all when I run install command for specific packages?

In dom0, try:

sudo dnf history

This will give you a list of historical actions with ID numbers.

To get details about a specific action (such as which packages, if any, were installed):

sudo dnf history info <ID_NUMBER>

It might have just been updating the repo cache.

Thanks for your reply.
There is no record of these updates, only the qt5ct packages being installed.

I’ve run the command again.
This time 11MB,35MB and 63MB got installed, followed by the repos at 2,7MB size.
The window closes automatically so I missed the last bit but you can see the 3 updates for fedora 32 in the screenshot I took (excuse the studer, hit a key while leaning forward).
I’ve run sudo dnf history again and there is no new entry since the qt5ct package install few days ago.
So whatever is being downloaded is not leaving a trace there and is much larger than just the repo cache.

These are not packages, this is just repo cache, as @adw wrote?

Yeah, that’s just repo/metadata stuff. It’s not downloading any particular package. You’ll notice that, when downloading actual packages, it will show the name of the package next to the download info.

By the way, this isn’t specific to Qubes OS at all. This is just how many package managers work (DNF, APT, etc.). So, if you want to learn more about this, you can also try more general web searches, more general forums (e.g., Fedora, other distros, general Linux), and StackExchange-like places.

2 Likes