Disposable sys-net: 'No network device available' after changing a template

Hi everyone, I am new to Qubes, and recently fresh install R4.1 on my machine(Debian 11 & Whonix 16 template) . I’m experiecing to replaced the sys template with Kicksecure 16 but now facing an issue.

I’ve installed a debian-11-minimal template, and morphing to Kicksecure 16 by following this guide , also followed this guide to install these packages:

qubes-core-agent-networking
qubes-core-agent-network-manager 
qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates 
qubes-usb-proxy 
qubes-input-proxy-sender
pciutils

Also followed the guide on the Qubes’github to anonymizing mac address, hostname anonymize was not done yet.

However, everything seems works fine but the sys-net, before changing the template (which is Debian 11), it works great without any issue, but after my little(?) configuration mentioned above, it cannot work to connect Wi-Fi. When I open the Network Manager Applet from the panel, it showsNo network device available. (But it can be connected to the internet with usb-ethernet adapter)

What I’ve do:

1. Go to Qubes Manager -> Settings: sys-net 
    -> Device Tab  -> check is the NIC selected

Result: Selected device: Intel AX201 (which is the only NIC on my machine)
2. run command: sudo dmsg | grep iwlwifi

Result: 
[    2.632527]  iwlwifi 0000:00:06.0: Direct firmware load for ielwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-59.ucode failed with error -2
[    2.63542]  (other version of iwlwifi.ucode failed with error -2)
[    2.632527]  iwlwifi 0000:00:06.0: minimum version supported: iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-39
[    2.632527]  iwlwifi 0000:00:06.0: maximum version supported: iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-59
3. lspci

Result: 
00:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (rev 20) exist

I know it might just be a stupid issue, but now I need some help and advice to make the wireless work in my machine, Thanks a lot. (Sorry for my grammar as English is not my first language)

you forgot to install wifi driver apt install firmware-iwlwifi

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply and it works ! Thank you !

in a similar context, I never found out the packages needed to get “hardware wifi switch” working on a x230 lenovo laptop with a minimal sys-net template…if you might be in the known ?

I never use that device or any kind of laptop that has wifi switch. maybe @Sven knows, he build a tutorial about debian minimal configuration