Did I destroy Qubes backup/restore data?

On a Librem mini v2:
I took regular backups of Qubes 4.0.4 and verified that they were ok with the backup / verify only tool. All good.
Then I upgraded to 4.1, all fine but as it is not a laptop and has to use external, usb keyboard and mouse no sys-usb was created by default.
When I connected the backup medium I could not find any entries on it al all.
This is where I did a stupid thing; I ran mkfs.vfat - because some article on the internet said it was a good idea and it had worked to restore a different corrupted usb medium I had.
So hereā€™s the question: Did I destroy all my Qubes 4.0 backups ? Or are they still on there and I just donā€™t know how to find them?
Iā€™d be really, really happy for any help getting all that data backā€¦
Sorry I realize this is off topic - not really a Qubes specific question.
Thanks,

NEVER trust ā€œsome article on the internetā€.
In this case you have destroyed the file system on the drive and
replaced it with new.
Itā€™s not impossible to recover data if this is all you have done.
Donā€™t touch that drive.
Donā€™t do anything else to it.
How much money do you have? How important are those backups, and the
data they contain? Do you have copies of the backups?

First thing to do is secure whatā€™s left on the drive.
Pull it, get another drive the same size.
Report back.

1 Like

Hi unman, thanks for replying,

re. NEVER trust ā€œsome article on the internetā€. - yeh . . . you do stuff . . . you know itā€™s dodgy . . . and you do it anyway . . . and when I say ā€˜youā€™, I mean me. Of course.

I have an emergency back up I can go to but thatā€™s 3 or 4 months old. But the most important data is backed up again there.

I have done nothing else to that drive and I have a replacement of sufficient size - just donā€™t know how to recover it.

I can pay to get it recovered but Iā€™d rather learn how myself.

Iā€™m learning about drives, formats, partitions, etc. any suggestions for resources on the subject gladly accepted.

cheers,

In general, merely ā€œformattingā€ a drive doesnā€™t destroy the data. It can sometimes be retrieved using forensic recovery tools. (This is why securely erasing a hard drive requires overwriting all the data, for example.) Try searching the web for ā€œhow to recover data from a formatted driveā€ (and similar queries) to read and learn more about the topic. (Emphasis on ā€œread and learn.ā€ Iā€™m not suggesting taking any action recommended by the random websites that turn up in your search results!)