Debian 11 Update Issue

Anyone have any suggestions of how to get past these errors. I tried giving the VM more space and that didn’t help. I read online about deleting the duplicated files. Can someone share some advice and steps?

Update Issue:

Updating debian-11

Error on updating debian-11: Command ‘[‘sudo’, ‘qubesctl’, ‘–skip-dom0’, ‘–targets=debian-11’, ‘–show-output’, ‘state.sls’, ‘update.qubes-vm’]’ returned non-zero exit status 20.
debian-11:

ID: update
  Function: pkg.uptodate
    Result: False
   Comment: W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:3
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:3
            W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:3
            E: Failed to fetch https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/InRelease  Invalid response from proxy: HTTP/1.0 500 Unable to connect  Server: tinyproxy/1.10.0  Content-Type: text/html  Connection: close     [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
            E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:3
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:3
            W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:3
   Started: 07:29:10.048810
  Duration: 3103.819 ms
   Changes:   

ID: notify-updates
  Function: cmd.run
      Name: /usr/lib/qubes/upgrades-status-notify
   Comment: Command "/usr/lib/qubes/upgrades-status-notify" run
   Started: 07:29:13.160258
  Duration: 2669.132 ms
   Changes:   
            ----------
            pid:
            retcode:
            stderr:
            stdout:

Summary for debian-11

Succeeded: 0 (changed=1)
Failed: 2

Total states run: 2
Total run time: 5.773 s

You can’t download Chrome, this could be an issue with the Google repo.

Ok. It ignored it afterward though. Any suggestions on the other errors?

The rest is just warnings, don’t know if they are supposed to be there or not.

Dupe: Debian-11 Template failed update

I tried the method from that post and got this:

Updating debian-11

Error on updating debian-11: Command ‘[‘sudo’, ‘qubesctl’, ‘–skip-dom0’, ‘–targets=debian-11’, ‘–show-output’, ‘state.sls’, ‘update.qubes-vm’]’ returned non-zero exit status 20.
debian-11:

Comment: W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
            E: Failed to fetch https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/InRelease  Invalid response from proxy: HTTP/1.0 500 Unable to connect  Server: tinyproxy/1.10.0  Content-Type: text/html  Connection: close     [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
            E: Failed to fetch https://contrib.qubes-os.org/deb/r4.1/vm/dists/bullseye/InRelease  Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate chain uses expired certificate.  Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
            E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
            W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list:2
   Started: 08:32:05.661146
  Duration: 3030.245 ms
   Changes:   

Started: 08:32:08.698999
  Duration: 2911.901 ms
   Changes:   
            ----------
            pid:
            retcode:
            stderr:
            stdout:

Summary for debian-11

Total run time: 5.942 s

It’s clearly not a dupe.

The “W” here shows these are Warnings - the custom repolists contain
duplicate entries,(as the warning message says).
This is a Bad Thing ™

The Error - marked with an E - shows that that repo could not be
accessed.

OP needs to fix up their custom repo definitions,and check the network
access to dl.google.com

I just tried uninstalling Google Chrome and it’s repository to see what would happen, and still receiving an error:

Updating debian-11

debian-11:

E: Failed to fetch https://contrib.qubes-os.org/deb/r4.1/vm/dists/bullseye/InRelease  Certificate verification failed: The certificate is NOT trusted. The certificate chain uses expired certificate.  Could not handshake: Error in the certificate verification. [IP: 127.0.0.1 8082]
   Started: 20:03:43.189035
  Duration: 2698.718 ms
   Changes:   

Started: 20:03:45.892235
  Duration: 2762.96 ms
   Changes:   
            ----------
            pid:
            retcode:
            stderr:
            stdout:

Summary for debian-11

Total run time: 5.462 s

Do you have some guidance on how I could check my repo definitions and the network access to dl.google.com ?

I’m receiving the same error message. Known issue with the Qubes contributor repo?

It looks like an expired certificate:

$ openssl s_client -showcerts -servername contrib.qubes-os.org -connect contrib.qubes-os.org:443 < /dev/null | grep -C4 NotAfter
depth=2 C = US, O = Internet Security Research Group, CN = ISRG Root X1
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
depth=0 CN = contrib.qubes-os.org
verify error:num=10:certificate has expired
notAfter=Feb  7 08:25:09 2023 GMT
depth=0 CN = contrib.qubes-os.org
notAfter=Feb  7 08:25:09 2023 GMT

Ok, what would I need to do?

Once an admin updates the certificate this error will disappear and you should be able to update again. However, you should still check all of your repo lists for duplicate entries. For example, does less /etc/apt/sources.list.d/alexp.list show any of the same entries as less /etc/apt/sources.list in your debian-11 template?

Opened an issue for the expired certificate:

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks, this definitely fixed the problem. Also, thank you @ephile for pointing that out as well!

1 Like