Debian-10-minimal Configuration

probably must install cups

Thank you for your reply. I just checked and saw that cups is already installed. It could have installed as dependency or recommended package, when I installed the HP printer driver.

My problem remains.

Thrilled for this, and would also love to give feedback once there’s a draft.

After research on installing a printer to work in Debian 11 minimal, I got it work by installing: system-config-printer - in addition to the printer drivers and qubes-usb-proxy.

2 Likes

Could you please add a few comment lines and the dom0 commands to setup the apt-cacher-ng.

In dom0 (replace $cacher_tempalte with the name of your template:

qvm-run --pass-io -u root $cacher_template "DEBIAN_FRONTEND='noninteractive' apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::='--force-confdef' -o Dpkg::Options::='--force-confold' install --no-install-recommends qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates apt-cacher-ng -y"

qvm-run --pass-io -u root $cacher_template "systemctl mask apt-cacher-ng"

qvm-features $cacher_template qubes-firewall 1

Then in the qube that is based on the above template (e.g. sys-firewall):

1. create /rw/config/qubes-bind-dirs.d/50_user.conf and add
binds+=( '/var/cache/apt-cacher-ng' )
binds+=( '/var/log/apt-cacher-ng' )
binds+=( '/etc/apt-cacher-ng')
  1. add these lines to /rw/config/rc.local
systemctl unmask apt-cacher-ng
systemctl start apt-cacher-ng
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 8082 -j ACCEPT
  1. restart the qube and then change Port: to 8082 in /etc/apt-cacher-ng/acng.conf

2. restart again and run sudo systemctl status apt-cacher-ng to see if it’s all setup correctly now.

1 Like

Page not found 404

But for me, creating and cloning template via salt doesn’t work

I’m sorry, only re-reading your post did I realize what it is you are asking for.

qvm-run --pass-io -u root

That’s just what you need to run a command inside a qube and passing the console output to your dom0 terminal. The -u root makes sure the command runs as root, so no sudo needed.

DEBIAN_FRONTEND='noninteractive' apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::='--force-confdef' -o Dpkg::Options::='--force-confold'

When you install the apt-cacher-ng package manually, you will be presented with a screen asking you to choose some options. The above series of parameters makes it so there is no interactive dialog (noninteractive) and the package gets installed with the default options (confdef) and already existing configurations are not overwritten (force-confold).

--no-install-recommends

Just the essentials, not extra packages please.

qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates apt-cacher-ng -y"

… the packages and say ‘yes’ to any prompts.

If you are uncomfortable with the above, simply do this:

1. In dom0: qvm-run my_template xterm … replace my_template with the name of your template. This will give you a terminal window of your template.

2. Inside the template terminal window sudo apt install --no-install-recommends qubes-core-agent-networking qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates apt-cacher-ng and then answer the prompts.

In any case, before someone else points it out again: if the above is gibberish to you and you feel the need to ask for clarification / unable to clarify the meaning yourself using a search engine of your choice … minimal templates and/or apt-cacher-ng maybe outside your current skill level and might lead to some frustration. Then again, that’s how you grow your skill level… so, you’ve been warned! :wink:

No, your previous reply matched my question :slight_smile:
In your actual reply you mixed up the text format.

Unfortunately, I am busy with other tasks but setup Qubes based on minimal templates is the next chapter in my Qubes learning journey.

I will share my success, questions, summary next week.

Thanks again.

Fixed it. It was a single missing character that did all that. :wink:

Just recently found out about this thread and I think it may just be the right place for a question I posted separately:

Long story short: I customized a debian-11-minimal AppVM which works fairly well with all usb block devices, except with Yubikeys. I’m convinced it must be a missing package because the classic debian-11 template handles it with no issues at all, but I can’t figure out which since I’ve already tried with qubes-u2f , qubes-usb-proxy , qubes-input-proxy-sender , qubes-input-proxy-receiver.
(Mind that all other necessary packages to normally handle a Yubikey have been installed)

I do have a separate sys-usb but I excluded that’s the issue for the reason mentioned above.

I hope this doesn’t constitute thread hijacking!
Thank you all

Well, it is thread hijacking. Please answer this request in it’s dedicated thread and not here. Thank you!

My apologies, I thought it could’ve been a good idea given it’s related to a minimal template.

1 Like

Added your RSS, I am looking forward to your minimizing Qubes, maximizing security guide. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I think there is 4. option here availble:

1. Put “User” to “plugdev” group.

then you wont need passwordless sudo package and can still mount external devices.
:wink:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Debian-minimal template for sys-audio

Hi @Sven could you please share your status on this?
Looking forward to your how-to :blush:

2 Likes

@whoami … by Sunday evening / Monday morning CST. You successfully shamed me into action.

4 Likes

I very interested in the salt part…
As soon as I find some free time I will follow your instructions on a fresh installation.

But do not stress, no urgency.