Curiosity Tips in Documentation: "Did you know?"

Only noticed today the “Did you know?” section on the installation guide:

It is really nice and I think it would be a great idea to find more opportunities in the docs to mention security considerations like these that the developers had.

It would be a good contrast to the “WARNING” “DANGER” that one sometimes sees in other pages of the documentation. And we need people to feel reasonably safe using Qubes.

Anyways, it’s just a suggestion. I’ll keep an eye out for opportunities of introducing these facts on the docs.

Admonition use in docs

I did some basic table of the admonition use on qubes-doc in case anyone is interested.

Named type / color Number of results
:white_check_mark: did you know? alert-succss / green 2
:exclamation: Danger alert-danger 5
:warning: Note alert-warning / yellow 3
:information_source: Note alert-info / blue 4
5 Likes

Thanks for noticing. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Indeed, that was the intention. Naturally, being who we are with the experience we have, we focus more on what can go wrong and ways users can shoot themselves in the feet, but this might come across as a bit too heavy and negative after a while, so it’s a nice change of pace to point out cases where the user is protected without having to do anything or worry about it. We should highlight those features and implement more of them!

Thank you, please do!

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see the day this evolves into the Qubes version of Microsoft’s Clippy.

Inb4 Qubey starts pestering us with security tips while we use Qubes?

proxy-image

"It looks like you’re trying to use sudo qubes-dom0-update to update your dom0.

Did you know that’s less secure than the Qubes Updater? Would you like help?

• Get help with updating

• Just continue with the command"

Alternative “Qubey”:

1 Like

Loved that!

Actually on the integrated tutorial I’m working on it came up the idea of little tips like that that then have a button for the user to start a tutorial.

For example: the user tries to install software and a Qubey shows up instructing the user how to do it.

Not long thereafter:

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that… Dom0 is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.”

2 Likes