Ctrl+Shift+v stopped working

Hi all,

Somehow Ctrl+Shift+v stopped working for me! Ctrl+Shift+c works and see the popup on the top right reporting the correct number of bytes copied, but I can’t paste it in any VM. I have tried pasting within Debian 10 / Fedora 33,34 VMs, but no luck so far.

The /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.ClipboardPaste file is untouched, and the only change I made recently was update the qubes-gui-daemon and qubes-audio-daemon in dom0 from current-testing.

Any idea what could be going on? What log files could I look at to find out more about the issue?

Thanks

You could check Qubes Global Settings to make sure the combination is set to Ctrl+Shift+V instead of something else?

Thanks, I have checked both the “Qubes Global Settings” and /etc/qubes/guid.conf in dom0 and none of them override the default Ctrl+Shift+v

the only change I made recently was update the qubes-gui-daemon and qubes-audio-daemon in dom0 from current-testing

Turns out this ^ was the problem: I cherry picked 2 packages from current-testing (because I just wanted the fix for #6518). After trying many different tweaks, I decided to do a full dom0 upgrade to current-testing:

qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing

and that fixed the issue after a restart.

3 Likes

Cherry picking updated packages is never a good idea - although the
dependencies should be set to pull in associated packages, it’s not
guaranteed to work.
It’s always better to run a full update, as you have found.

1 Like

For anyone searching for a different solution:
Short Version: If you recently changed a policy file you probably introduced a mistake.

In my case the problem was, that I recently changed an unrelated policy file.
For me: /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.SshAgent2

This led to qrexec crashing, which led to a permission denied in the related guid logs:
/var/log/qubes/guid.work.log

See the qrexec log for more detail on where the policy error is (or could be)
/var/log/qubes/qrexec.work.log

Just a reminder that in 4.1 the canonical place for qrexec policy is in
/etc/qubes/policy.d
The default rules are in 90-default policy.
If you want to modify those rules, or create new, put the new rules in a
lower numbered file - e.g. 30-user.policy

compatibility with /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/ rules will be removed idc.

Thank you for the Hint. Somehow I totally missed that!

I like the new syntax much better!