Crowd Sourced Firmware Reverse Engineering

Instead of trying to raise crowd source funding for a RISC-V chip, wouldn’t it make more sense to fundraise for reverse engineering firmware using something like chipsec? Accessing binaries on the SPI flash using chipsec and removing modules to see if the system will boot. Analyzing Intel FSP using a reversing tool; etc.

You keep making the same threads over and over about firmware, you could keep it in one thread and not spam the forum, this isn’t directly related to qubes.

1 Like

Yes, not directly related. It’s a very interesting question nevertheless. The opensource movement had mainly FLOSS (software) as focus at the beginning. The focus on opensource hardware came a little later. Novena, MNT Reform, Olimex Teres, Balthazar, etc. have been great projects.

RISC-V is an important part of this trend. There is now the first RISC-V laptop available called Roma. I don’t know if it’s better to focus on intel machines and “clean” them as much as possible or focus in RISC-V. Personally I hope to get a RISC-V machine in the future (at the moment I like arm). Btw three is also the PowerPC notebook in the making.

1 Like

So you agree that it’s against the forum rules, don’t you? See the description of the sections: Both User Support an General Discussion should be about Qubes OS and not about any “interesting questions”. For users with Trust Level 2 (Members) or above, there is Category All Around Qubes, where you can discuss questions like the one you ask here. (Although I personally still disagree that it shouldn’t be available for everyone registered.)

1 Like