Crossover Linux / Office 365 Fails to Run: "swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file"

Seen another discussion on the best way to run O365 (Windows vs Crossover) and wanted to post what I’ve come to know. Hopefully this helps anyone else looking into this.
There’s really only one thing I use/need MS for (besides work, but that’s work) and that’s MS Publisher. Any other office docs I can use Libreoffice for. Impress just doesn’t cut it IMHO.
You can’t run O365 in Crossover (CXLinux) in Qubes-OS unless the VM has access to the hardware GPU. You can install CXLinux and install O365 (O365 does run great in CXLinux on ‘normal’ distros), however you’ll run into the error:

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

The following issues have no known automated fix for your platform but the fixes for other platforms may help you:
* https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/Diag/openglnotworking (32-bit)

I’d love to hear if anyone gets is working, but I’m going to now delve into the world of HVM’s. (I’ve only started using/learning qubes-os a few days ago).

1 Like

FWIW, I have used O365 via Crossover under Qubes not too long ago (last year?). It did work, although with issues (sometimes black window instead of actual content). Has it changed in recent CXLinux version?

I don’t think it’s changed much. Maybe I’ll try it in a Debian based VM. Do you remember what type of VM you had it running in? PV/HVM?

All defaults - PVH, I think Fedora template.

(renamed the title to make it more explicit what’s the issue and moved to user support)