Create subtemplate from template

Hi,

I’m using separate qube for each customer, each of them requires different set of tools/vpn’s. So I just cloned default fedora template multiple times. While this works okay, it brings a minor problem when updating VM’s based on these templates - every template must be updated separately downloading same OS updates multiple times.

It can be solved using sys-proxy with squid caching the packages, but this requires certain amount of disk space for cache.

I think it would be nice if I can create “subtemplate” from default template which will contain only differences compared to the default template. It can be as an overlay layer over default FS - starting AppVm will start default template, then overlay it with subtemplate.

As advantage I see shorter update time, saving broadband connection, not bothering repo servers multiple times.

I did not find any discussion regarding this.

What do you think of it? Is there already that kind of feature?

Thanks for advise/opinion.

1 Like

I think I posted a similar suggestion in this thread:

You can read the discussion there.

1 Like

It’s a question that has come up a number of times, and there is also
issue at GitHub.

So how exactly would we get fully updated qubes/cloned templates this way, when they’re not the same, obviously?

OK

In a fiber optics era, I don’t find this a reason. It doesn’t happen too often and for too long

As I see it, servers are made to be bothered, constantly.

Although I’m using apt-cacher-ng, I was asking my self hundreds of times why can’t be this done somehow more automatically while hating startup/shutdown times of templates during updates, only each time to conclude it’s all about conformism, not about usability…
|
|
v

Ok, so it seems there is no such feature and no plans for implementing it yet.

Thank you guys for hints.
Sorry I did not find the mentioned thread, have to search better next time :man_facepalming:

Where is the issue on GitHub?