Copying Files in Qubes OS: From dom0 to VMs, between VMs, from VMs to dom0 and fully automatically

Here is a Guide for newcomes to Qubes OS who wonder how to copy files and directories from dom0 to a VM, from a VM to dom0 and and in between VMs, as well as doing that with and without the GUI prompt.

I doubt this work at all

qvm-run --pass-io work 'cat testfile.txt' > qvm-run --pass-io sys-net 'cat > testfile.txt'

tbh i found it here in the forum xD

but due to writing blogposts about qubes, much of this writing happens in dom0 and getting the blogpost out of there and onto the machine i write the blogposts at atm is a bit of a hassle.

I thought its a good example for a bad example. I’ll try it later to see if it works.

Also the > should be a | in the middle. ty for pointing it out. I’ll check it later.

1 Like

just tried it (and corrected the blogpost), it works:

qvm-run --pass-io work 'cat testfile.txt' | qvm-run --pass-io sys-net 'cat > testfile.txt'
1 Like

To move files from VMs to dom0 with gui, you can use this scripts. They are not being update since 6 months ago but they still working well.
To use it with debian’s qubes, just install qubes-video-companion instead of qubes-video-companion-receiver.

1 Like