Computer crashed mid appVM restore

Hello, new Qubes user here. Earlier my computer crashed during the restoration of a very large appVM (500+ gb). I’m not sure why it crashed, maybe it was thermal. Now I see my varlibqubes data is 91.9% and I noticed I have a QubesIncoming folder in my dom0 home directory with a 10 gb backup#restore folder inside. Can anyone help me figure out what I should do to tidy up after a crash in a situation like this? Maybe I am mistaken but it doesn’t appear Qubes clears this orphaned data on its own after a crash in the midst of an appVM restoration.

Also, are backups are read-only during restore? Do I need to worry about my backups being corrupted after a crash? They were stored on a USB drive attached to a DVM.

So your pool is full and you suggest the the botched restore left artifacts - the question is did you use lvm or btrfs.

On lvm you could run a sudo lvs | grep thatVmName to figure it out.
On btrfs I’m honestly not sure, but you probably find the corresponding img files on /var/lib/qubes

In both cases - if the qube wasn’t created - you could delete that associated data.

Regarding the backup#restore - idk. I’d delete it …


Considering the next restore attempt, you should use the qvm util. Maybe you get a output/error if it fails again.

I’m using lvm. I ran sudo lvs | grep myvm for my vm but it returned nothing. I also already deleted my partially restored appVM via the Qube Manager, but I’m still seeing 91.8% of my varlibqubes data filled up in my Qubes Disk Space Monitor taskie. If it’s okay to delete my backup#restore, I’ll do that, too, I just want to make sure it’s 100% okay to do before I do it, I’m out of my element messing around in dom0. And thanks for your help.

lets do a lvs -a

Look for your pool entry, I’d like to know the size an Data%

Since you want to restore a 500G VM - is the pool suited for that? What is taking up space?

I see pool and root-pool, both data% 92.22 LSize 20.00g

That doesn’t sound right. lvs -a | grep tw should filter to only pools. You are looking for a pool that can hold your 500G vm.

Anyway - after removing the backup#restore - did you just try it again to restore the qube?

I see root-pool and vm-pool, this time 20g and 2.49t respectively, with 92.06% data and 3.19% data. I’m going to try the restore again tonight or tomorrow, I was just thinking that it might just clean everything up on the next run so I don’t have to poke around too much under the hood.