Commands do not run in one vm (qvm-console-dispvm does not work)

Everything works fine except my personal VM. I think it’s because I was trying to get things to autostart. But now I can’t get anything to run.

If I do qvm-run personal [anything] it just hangs. If I try to run anything in the personal VM using an app launcher like rofi, nothing happens.

Even non-gui commands have this problem. I tried running qvm-run -p personal "cat /rw/config/rc.local" to see if I did something stupid there, but it also just hangs.

I don’t even know how to troubleshoot it because I can’t open anything.

Any advice?

Open Qubes Manager, right click the VM and select Logs (last option). You’ll be able to navigate between three different logs.

If you prefer terminal interaction, run the following in dom0:

Note: make sure to change vm-name with the name of the vm of interest.

$ vm=vm-name
$ less /var/log/xen/console/guest-$vm.log
$ less /var/log/qubes/guid.$vm.log
$ less /var/log/qrexec.$vm.log

If the vm is a TemplateVM, then check the following too:

$ less /var/log/qubes/mgmt-$vm.log

Quick knowledge about less:

• SHIFT + G: go to the end
  • Q: quit and return to shell

You can also open a console for your vm:

$ qvm-console-dispvm $vm
1 Like

I was able to open a terminal with qvm-console-dispvm personal but I can’t use it because it won’t allow me to log in.

It gives the login prompt
personal login:
I enter “user” and press return.
Then it tries to open a display and suppresses a number of callbacks. I don’t know what this means.

It works fine with the root user though, so I’m going to play with it.

Logs:
I compared the guest.personal.log to the guest.work.log and I can’t figure out what the problem is from it.

qrexec.personal.log is completely blank until shutdown. Then it says
2022-12-09 05:06:16.031 qrexec-daemon[7524]: qrexec-daemon.c:1214:main: qrexec-agent has disconnected domain dead 2022-12-09 05:06:17.295 qrexec-daemon[7524]: qrexec-daemon.c:1106:handle_agent_restart: cannot connect to qrexec agent: No such file or directory 2022-12-09 05:06:17.295 qrexec-daemon[7524]: qrexec-daemon.c:1216:main: Failed to reconnect to qrexec-agent, terminating

guid.personal.log just says
Icon size: 128x128 Falling back to setting _NET_WM_USER_TIME on the root window

I deleted my autostart script and now I can open things in the personal VM, so I guess that’s what caused it.

1 Like