Changing password

I used a simple password when I installed QubesOS, but I’d like to change it to something harder.

Also, do you guys keep the same SSD password and login password?
I’m thinking of using 12 words for the SSD, but if the login password is too long, it will be a pain, so I’m thinking of making it easy.

I’m new to QubesOS and don’t know much about computers.

1 Like

This is not a Qubes OS-specific question. You can find readily-available answers to general queries like this on the Internet.

Also, you didn’t even specify which password you’re attempting to change.

Login password:

passwd

Cryptsetup passphrase:

sudo cryptsetup luksAddKey <partition>

where <partition> is likely /dev/nvme0n1p3 since you’re using an SSD. Add the key, test it well to make sure it works, then once you’re ready you can remove the old key with:

sudo cryptsetup luksRemoveKey <partition>

Next time do some research please. Most questions, even Qubes-related have already been asked and answered.

Moderation

Moved to User Support > General

1 Like

I want to change the two passwords I set during installation.
One is the password for SSD encryption and the other is the user password.
Sorry for the frustration. I know what a search is, but it’s very hard for a beginner to discern the right information. And I’m not a computer trained person.

1 Like

No problem, I provided the solutions for both cases in my previous reply.

1 Like

@kzlz Welcome to Qubes! I’m also fairly new to Qubes, but have been a long time Linux user. I have struggled with more than a few aspects of Qubes myself but now I’m finding that it was all worth the time spent.

@BEBF738VD was helpful in providing his answers, but you are right in thinking that there is a lot of information out there to sift through, and as a beginner it can be overwhelming.

I hope you’ll forgive @BEBF738VD 's expression of frustration - I empathize with the sentiment, because a lot of people tend to make posts that lack specificity that make it impossible to help.

It can be helpful to try and clarify your experience level in your original post in the future, which can help knowledgeable members of the community tailor an ideal response for you. If you don’t get any response, there are also many Matrix chat rooms (you can access them by downloading the Element Matrix chat client) for Linux learners that may be able to assist quicker than members in the Qubes community forums.

1 Like

Thank you. I just installed QubesOS a few days ago and am confused by the complexity of QubesOS. I have been using Linux for a few years and use the GUI and a little bit of terminal but I can’t say I understand how it works.
I will follow your advice from now on.

1 Like

Can you tell me one more thing?
When I enter a new password using passwd
The password is shorter than 8 characters
or
The password fails the dictionary check
and I can’t set it.
I couldn’t get past the sudo passwd.
I want to make the SSD password difficult, but the login password simple.
Please tell me how to set a short and simple login password.
I don’t want to have to reinstall QubesOS again from USB.

sudo passwd -f <your-username>

If it doesn’t work:

echo "minlen = 6" | sudo tee -a /etc/security/pwquality.conf

Cannot be less than 6 characters.

1 Like