Change fedora 32 DVM to fedora 34 (DVM)

Hello,

Updating your DVM fedora 32 against fedora 34 is it a good thing to do it manually via the “Qubes manager” or should I explicitly follow the instructions in the documentation?

What i would do is download the 34 template.

In dom0 sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-<DISTRO_NAME>-<RELEASE_NUMBER> as described here. In your case that would be sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-template-fedora-34 and then setting all AppVMs/DispVMs to the new fedora-34 template. You can delete the old one if you want, after making sure everything works as intended.

Just in case you did not know: A DVM is an AppVM that has the flag template_for_dispvms = true. This flag indicates, that it can copied to disp1234 and run as a disposable vm.

As DVMs are AppVMs at the core, every change to the system like installing packages or updating stuff will be lost at shutdown. You may be able to dist upgrade them, but the changes will be lost. What you can do however, is upgrade their template!

So you have two options:

1. Download a fresh fedora-34 template from the repo
  2. Distupgrade your fedora-N to fedora-34.

Both will work, but i prefer the first approach for the following reason:

• A fresh start: Everything is as it should be, no technological depth or dormant stuff anywhere.
  • Maybe qubes specific things changed internally, so i am getting those changes.
  • There is much less to go wrong

So far I don’t see a reason not to use fedora-35 already.
Also, qvm-template is preferred method over qubes-dom0-update as per Template manager | Qubes OS, or even qvm-template-qui.

1 Like

Ok thank you! What I would like to know is if I decide to install Fedora 34 (template) and then I decide to replace the basic template of Fedora-32-dvm (which is therefore Fedora 32) with Fedora 34, does this pose a fundamental problem? Or should I specifically go through the Dom0 terminal and follow the instructions in the documentation?