Certain PDF Documents Do Not Convert (XXX.pdf…0/?Request refused)

When using the qubes pdf convert function not all the pdfs convert into a trusted format.

Last month i had about 30 / 40 pdfs that i downloaded from the web and maybe 12 in total successfully converted .

What does this mean ? Are the documents malicious if they are not converting successfully ? or is it just a problem with the converter ? it just seems strange why it would work for some but not for others.

Thank you in advance.,

Hi @ok-flash,
On conversion from graphical interface, did you get some errors ?
Could you try with the qvm-convert-pdf from CLI (Command Line Interface, i.e. from terminal) ? See usage or man qvm-convert-pdf. If you see an error, give us a copy/paste of the command output.

Hi ludovic . I will do that now thanks, i will post back the results shortly.

take a look at this thread

You are probably doing the from a debian-10 appVM. That has known issues. Try doing it from a fedora AppVM or change the policy as indicated on the thread.

Hi
i tried to do it from a fedora app vm and it did not convert the particular pdf i was trying to do .

XXX.pdf…0/?Request refused
XXX.pdf…fail

error: XXX.pdf: Failed to receive page count

Total Sanitized Files: 0/1
[user@convert-pdf disp6615]$

i replaced the reference of the name of the file with XXX. it was not actually converting a file named that . I just wanted to keep what i was reading private while explaining my converting problem.

Thanks

Then it must be because you don’t have a Default DisposableVM Template. This is the the AppVM where the PDF will be converted in. It should be in your case set to none and you change it by going to the “advanced” tab of that particular Qubes’s settings:

disp

I have set the default disposable vm as a fedora disposable vm so when i initiate the conversion it converts its in the correct vm

However it still fails. i did it in command line instead and fails after 50 pages.,

Can you try to provide here the error message?

4 posts were split to a new topic: PDF conversion fails: “Total Sanitized Files: 0/1”