CD ROMs in WIndows Qube...won't show up

Qubes 4.2

Windows 7 SP1

QWT is installed

I cannot get a CD ROM to “show up” in the Windows 7 qube. I’ve done the attachment through qui-devices, but I never see the CD ROM as a disk in WIndows, and it doesn’t show up in Windows’ disk management at all.

Is this related somehow to the fact that read only block devices (e.g., ones created by losetup in another qube) also won’t show up in Windows 7 qubes?

QWT does not install Xen PV disk drivers by default which might result in that behaviour.

Please refer to Qubes Windows Tools (QWT) documentation under this section:

Note: Xen PV disk drivers are not installed by default.

I have no trouble attaching writable devices, e.g., veracrypt containers that have been decrypted. Only those containers when in read-only mode…and CDRoms, apparently Would that be expected in this case?

Also, I was able to install things off of CD-ROMs to my windows qube in the past.

So either I’m doing something simple, wrong, or something broke. On the off chance it is the first item:

What I am doing now is loading the CD-ROM into the drive, and, once it’s ready, using qui-devices to assign the CD-ROM to the windows qube. It doesn’t show up as a drive in Windows.

1 Like

Please have a look on the last paragraph of How to install Windows qubes in Qubes OS.Perhaps installing the recommended patch might help here.