Can't Reply to Old Theads via Email

----- Forwarded message from Qubes OS Forum <qubes_os at discoursemail.com> -----

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 13:49:09 +0000
To: unman at thirdeyesecurity.org
Subject: [Qubes Forum] Email issue – Reply Not Allowed

We’re sorry, but your email message to [“qubes_os+c27118a27b2a… at discoursemail.com”] (titled Re: [Qubes Forum] Wipe VM Clipboards With a Trigger? [User Support/Guides]) didn’t work.

You don’t have permissions to reply to the topic. If you believe this is an error, contact a staff member.

----- End forwarded message -----

This is an unwelcome, and somewhat unexpected, situation.
I cant now reply to any messages originating before the move - is it not
possible to set up a mail forwarder so that email responses will be
forwarded to the new Forum?

What will happen if I forward a message to the right category - will it
be linked with the right discussion?

This is an unwelcome, and somewhat unexpected, situation.
I cant now reply to any messages originating before the move - is it not
possible to set up a mail forwarder so that email responses will be
forwarded to the new Forum?

What will happen if I forward a message to the right category - will it
be linked with the right discussion?

Sorry about this. It’s one of those edge-cases that I forgot to think about.

I think discourse bases the reply based on the message-id. So it would makes sense to work.

When you replied to previous emails, to what addess did you reply to usually? It should be something similar, I would guess. Maybe see the email address from this message – I’m guessing if it’s a generic address, then it should be that one you should reply to.

There was nothing in the official announcement to say that replies
would be disabled, afaik. I’ve emailed separately about the issue.

@unman, try replying instead to “qubes_os at forum.qubes-os.org”.

Sadly, my hunch is that it still will not work. You’d have probably to mess with the headers and also replace the email on the “In-reply-to” and the “message-id”.

This should just be a transient issue either way and as more messages from the new forum land on your inbox. I hope you can also understand from our side that despite all the efforts to make the migration as smooth as possible, not everything always goes according to plan.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

I bumped the thread so hopefully you get an email of my post and now have the right associated reply-to.

@unman, it turns out the “reply_by_email” setting was disabled somehow. Not sure if this addresses the issue or would be another one. Either way, it’s now enabled.

@unman, I’ve found out the answer. Thanks to @communiteq.

You can still reply to topics from the old forum via email by changing the reply address according to this rule:

• It was: qubes_os+[reply_key]@discoursemail.com

• reply instead to: replies+[reply_key]@forum.qubes-os.org

Per suggestion, I’ve changed the error message to give the the above instructions as well as a better error description.