Can't Install on new HP Spectre x360

Greetings. I’m new to Qubes as I just recently heard about this OS. Super excited to get it going. I went out and purchased a laptop to run Qubes on however I’m not able to get it installed.

I purchased an HP Spectre x360 (15-eb1043dx) as I saw others have had success with the x360. However I am not having success. I’m booting the installer from an 8GB flash drive and can see that the booting process does start, however once it gets to XEN the screens slowly clears (approx 2 seconds clearing from top to bottom) and display stays blank. I can see activity on the flash drive for 20 to 30 seconds after the screen clears and the computer does not appear to be locked up as I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and the computer reboots.

I suspect this is a display issue, however totally guessing. Below is the last thing I see on the screen before it clears and stays blank.

(XEN) Scrubbing Free RAM on 1 nodes using 4 CPUs
(XEN) …done.
(XEN) Std. Loglevel: Errors and warnings
(XEN) Guest Loglevel: Nothing (Rate-limited: Errors and warnings)
(XEN) Xen is relinquishing VGA console.

I’ve tried quite a few of the suggestions I found in troubleshooting and none of them fixed this and some of them made things worse.

Would be grateful for any suggestions of things to try.

I’ve tried quite a few of the suggestions I found in troubleshooting
and none of them fixed this and some of them made things worse.

It would be helpful if you could share / link the things you already tried.

Would be grateful for any suggestions of things to try.

Does this computer have discrete graphics? Is there an option to turn it
off and force the use of integrated graphics?

Have you made sure Vt-d virtualization support is enabled?

Thanks for the response.

The laptop has Intel integrated graphics.

Here are some of the hardware specs.
– 16GB RAM
– 512GB SSD
– Intel Iris Graphics
– i7-1165G7 Processor (4 core i7 11th generation)
– 3840 x 2160 Resolution

I’ve tried the following:

nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off
noexitboot=1 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau --- intitrd.img
[qubes-verbose]
options=console=vga efi=attr=uc
# noexitboot=1
# mapbs=1
kernel=vmlinuz inst.stage2=hd:LABEL=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64 i915.alpha_support=1
ramdisk=initrd.img
[qubes-verbose]
options=console=none efi=attr=uc
noexitboot=1
mapbs=1
ramdisk=initrd.img
[qubes-verbose]
options=console=vga efi=no-rs
# noexitboot=1
# mapbs=1
ramdisk=initrd.img

I’m using the 4.0.3 ISO. I’ve tried installing the 4.0.4-rc1 with same results. Did not try applying these fixes to the 4.0.4-rc1 ISO. Only did it with the 4.0.3 ISO.

You could also give a chance to the 4.1 alpha ISO :

Thank you for the suggestions. Just to give an update on this issue. I returned the HP laptop once I realized that getting audio working with this laptop would be an issue. It has the B&O speakers which require some special drivers to get them working.

I replaced that laptop with a Lenovo Yoga 9i running 4.1 alpha ISO and it is working well. Initial issue with WiFi, however updating the kernel resolved the issue. Still some issues with recovering from sleep mode. However all in all it is working well.

Thanks again for the help.

1 Like