Can't install centos8 template

[username@dom0 ~]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing qubes-template-centos-8
Redirecting to ‘qvm-template install --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community-testing centos-8’
‘/root/.cache/qvm-template/qubes-template-centos-8-0:4.0.6-202010191306.rpm’ already exists, skipping…
Installing template ‘centos-8’…
tar: ./var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/centos-8/root.img.part.02: Wrote only 9216 of 10240 bytes
tar: ./var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/centos-8/root.img.part.03: Cannot write: No space left on device
tar: ./var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/centos-8/vm-whitelisted-appmenus.list: Cannot write: No space left on device
tar: ./var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/centos-8/whitelisted-appmenus.list: Cannot write: No space left on device
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
ERROR: Failed to extract centos-8 template

Does this mean dom0 is out of space? Any ideas?

It is pretty self explanatory. You don’t have enough space in dom0. You probably tried several times and cache is full. So, clear it, or even resize dom0.

Moved to User Support

How does one go about resizing dom0 and clearing the cache?? Thanks!

Cleaning:

1-delete files from .cache into the home

rm -r /home/user/.cache/*

2-delete old logs files from

/var/log/

3-delete old journal logs (if i dont need them)

sudo rm -r /var/log/journal/*

4- run the command

sudo dnf clean all

Resizing dom0

In 4.1 dom0 size is 20GB which might not be enough for large templates. So you can permanently resize dom0

$ sudo lvresize --size 40G /dev/qubes_dom0/root
$ sudo resize2fs /dev/mapper/qubes_dom0-root

or temporarily

It’s not mandatory to set 40gigs. Set as much as you want.

1 Like

Thank you enmus, this info is very helpful!

You are welcome.

It was the RPMs in the ~/.cache/qvm-templates for me. I had three of them from prior failed installations just sitting there eating up space.