Also, after searching around, I tried to change /etc/yum.repos.d/qubes-r4.repo content so that the url points to r4.1 (in fedora-33 template). Then running in fedora-33 template:
% sudo dnf update --all
Last metadata expiration check: 0:46:33 ago on Sun Apr 16 21:02:01 2023.
Problem: cannot install the best update candidate for package qubes-gui-agent-4.1.25-1.fc33.x86_64
- problem with installed package qubes-gui-agent-4.1.25-1.fc33.x86_64
- cannot install the best update candidate for package qubes-libvchan-xen-4.0.9-1.fc33.x86_64
- package qubes-gui-agent-4.1.25-1.fc33.x86_64 requires libvchan-xen.so()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
- package qubes-gui-agent-4.1.25-1.fc33.x86_64 requires qubes-libvchan, but none of the providers can be installed
- package qubes-libvchan-xen-4.1.7-1.fc33.x86_64 requires libxenctrl.so.4.14()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
- package qubes-libvchan-xen-4.1.7-1.fc33.x86_64 requires libxenvchan.so.4.14()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
- cannot install both xen-libs-4.14.0-5.fc33.x86_64 and xen-libs-2001:4.8.5-42.fc33.x86_64
- cannot install both xen-libs-4.14.3-2.fc33.x86_64 and xen-libs-2001:4.8.5-42.fc33.x86_64
- package qubes-gui-agent-4.1.25-1.fc33.x86_64 requires libxengnttab.so.1()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
- package qubes-gui-agent-4.1.25-1.fc33.x86_64 requires libxengnttab.so.1(VERS_1.0)(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
- cannot install the best update candidate for package xen-libs-2001:4.8.5-42.fc33.x86_64
Package Arch Version Repository Size
Skipping packages with conflicts:
(add '--best' to command line to force their upgrade):
xen-libs x86_64 4.14.0-5.fc33 fedora 625 k
xen-libs x86_64 4.14.3-2.fc33 updates 620 k
Skipping packages with broken dependencies:
qubes-libvchan-xen x86_64 4.1.7-1.fc33 qubes-vm-r4.0-current 16 k
Skip 3 Packages
Nothing to do.
Sounds like you are upgrading from an old installation. fc33 reached EOL 1 yr 5 mo ago. I would suggest do a full backup, and do a fresh install, then restore your VMs.
Frankly speaking, I don’t think it’s something easy to upgrade and continue using your fc33 template. After restoration, you’d better shift your App Qubes’ template to fc37 that’s shipped with Qubes R4.1.2.
Yes, I have old fedoras, but recently upgraded to Qubes 4.1 and that’s the problem that I don’t have more recent template or vm that would be compatible with Qubes 4.1 and that’s preventing me from downloading more recent fedora template.
More info for anyone running into this issue:
When using qvm-template install <template_name>, the VM that is set as “Dom0 update qube” (can be changed in Global settings) needs to have the /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.TemplateSearch file which wasn’t on old templates. Once you download one newer template and set it as dom0 update qube, you can use qvm-template install.