Can I Install Multiple TemplateVMs Of The Same Distro Release?

I was wondering if it was possible to have two copies of the Fedora, Debian, and Whonix Workstation TemplateVMs? For example, would it be possible to have TWO Fedora-33 TemplateVMs? The idea would be to use one of them to create AppVMs that only draw from the official Fedora-33 repos and use the other to create AppVMs using alternative repos or 3rd-party rpm packages. Basically, I want to have a “stable” and a “bleeding-edge” Fedora-33 TemplateVM for security reasons.

I’ve only been using Qubes for a couple months, so this may be a stupid question, but the documentation doesn’t present a clear answer. Thank you.

Yes, you absolutely can have it. Just clone the template and you will have an independent copy of it. You can have as many clones as you like, for any templates.

See also: Better Understanding Template Cloning.

1 Like

@fsflover Thank you.

[SOLUTION] - To clone a TemplateVM, you need to right-click on the TemplateVM and select the “Clone qube” option near the bottom of the context menu. I was trying to create the clone like any AppVM via the “Create a new qube” operation.

1 Like

Marked this as the solution and removed [SOLUTION] from the title. This is how we mark solutions here :slight_smile: (you can mark it as well from the three dots bellow each post)

1 Like