[BUG] Dom0 errors after fedora32 template upgrade

Introduction

Hi, I decided to upgrade fedora template, as it’s good and safe to keep things up to date. I always read documentation, same today.

My steps

I did all steps stopping on " Base the DisposableVM Template on the new template."

I changed all my fedora30 templates to fedora32 including sys-net, sys-firewall, sys-usb. (but I didn’t delete fedora30, it’s left untouched).

Proceeding to disposableVM template update, when I try to
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create -l red -t new-template new-template-dvm
error occurs:
app: Error creating VM: Got empty response from qubesd. See journalctl in dom0 for details.

I tried to find something similar in github issues but the only hint I found is to update dom0. Then I got second bug:
Errors during downloading metadata for repository updates -curl error(6): Couldn;t resolve hostname for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f25&arch=x86_64 Couldn't resolve host: mirrors.fedoraproject.org

Maybe I missed something, then I’m sorry. If someone could help me, please :slight_smile:

Proceeding to disposableVM template update, when I try to
[user@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create -l red -t new-template new-template-dvm
error occurs:
app: Error creating VM: Got empty response from qubesd. See journalctl in dom0 for details.
Please have a look at the output of journalctl -u qubesd and add
anything relevant here.
I tried to find something similar in github issues but the only hint I found is to update dom0. Then I got second bug:
Errors during downloading metadata for repository updates -curl error(6): Couldn;t resolve hostname for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f25&arch=x86_64 Couldn't resolve host: mirrors.fedoraproject.org
If you’ve just updated the templates and this isn’t working, try setting
the sys-net and sys-firewall templates back to fedora-30 for the update.

1 Like

This is usually just a temporary network problem that has nothing to do with Qubes. It does not mean that there’s anything wrong on your end. Usually, you just have to try again, or wait a while then try again. This seems to be especially common if updating over Tor (sys-whonix).

1 Like

I tried to create appVM using GUI and then set it to disposableVM using dom0 terminal. It worked.

About dom0 updates, as @adw said it solved itself after some time.