Browser crashes DVM on start

Hey,

I use Mullvad Browser in an AppVm. Then I changed the AppVm to a DVM and since then the Qube crashes every time I open Mullvad Browser, unless I open the terminal first. If I open the terminal in DVM and then the browser then it doesn’t crash. If I don’t open the terminal or as soon as I close the terminal then the Qube crashes.

Currently it is not a critical problem for me, but I would like to understand and solve the problem :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help.

Make sure the --detach option is removed from the .desktop file (if you created one) or from the startup script itself (start-mullvad-browser.desktop).

1 Like

Thanks for you reply.
I have now removed the --detach option, but the problem is still there: if i start the Browser without starting a terminal before it still crashes.

When i uncheck ‘Disposable Template’ in the settings and start the browser then it works again. if i check the ‘Disposable Template’ again and start the browser it crashes… I have no clue where to begin debugging.

When you say “crashes”, do you mean that the disposable qube stops?
How exactly do you start the browser when it is in a disposable state?

These are the ouputs:
Qube dispxxx is starting.
Qube dispxxx has started.
Qube dispxxx has shut down.

When I say “crashes” I mean that the last state “qubexxx has shut down” occured.

I am starting the Browser via the Applications shown in the App Menu.

Can you provide more details? How did you install the browser and how did you create this application entry?

Of course. I installed the browser as described in the official documentation: Install Mullvad Browser

This is my desktop entry. This is the Desktop Entry that came with the installation of the browser. As far as I remember I only removed the --detach option as you suggested.

**[Desktop Entry]**
Type=Application
Name=Mullvad Browser
GenericName=Web Browser
Comment=Mullvad Browser  is +1 for privacy and −1 for mass surveillance
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;Security;
Exec=sh -c '"/usr/local/bin/mullvad-browser/Browser/start-mullvad-browser" || ([ !  -x "/usr/local/bin/mullvad-browser/Browser/start-mullvad-browser" ] && "$(dirname "$*")"/Browser/start-mullvad-browser )' dummy %k
X-MullvadBrowser-ExecShell=./Browser/start-mullvad-browser --detach
Icon=/home/user/local/bin/mullvad-browser/Browser/browser/chrome/icons/default/default128.png
StartupWMClass=Mullvad Browser

It would, of course, be helpful if you were to say which desktop
file this is.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

You can check for other files with sudo find -name *desktop |grep mullvad" in /`

The reason that the disposable appears to crash is that if you call the
start up application as it stands, the application will call Mullvad
Browser using --detach, and the calling script will then exit.
Since the first program has exited, the disposable will close.
You can see the same effect with other programs, (notoriously
gnome-terminal).
That is why you were asked to remove the detach statement.
Since it hasn’t worked for you I suspect that you are calling a desktop
file other than the one you have edited.

I never presume to speak for the Qubes team. When I comment in the Forum I speak for myself.

Ah! Damn. Thank you very much, I feel stupid now.

Why is it actually done that way at DVM’s? Because it is assumed that when the first open program is closed, the session is no longer needed and you should open another DVM?