Brother DCP-7065DN, CUPS server, Duplex failure: App VM and Standalone VM configuration

Qubes 4.1.2 (R4.1) with “stock” Fedora 37 template VMs. Printer in question Brother DCP-7065DN (Firmware Version : J, Memory Size : 32 Mbytes, Page Counter : 18880). Printer driver : Brother DCP7065DN for CUPS (grayscale, 2-sided printing) via linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.3-1.

Installed and configured on a template VM and supporting duplex therefrom. On the template is also installed system-config-printer-1.5.18-3.fc37. On an App VM based upon the template the printers are shown as per the template configuration. However, on the App VM any attempt to print to the DCP-7056DN will be aborted with an opc-life-end - that is, change the drum (which I replaced several days ago). Question: Is this a driver issue? I believe not, I think it has something to do with a lack of persistance for “some file” or a failure based upon the status of an App VM.

Workaround: Install a Standalone VM based upon an ISO for Fedora 38 using a GNOME desktop on top of a server install. CUPS installed and printer(s) configured on localhost:631 (the other printer is an Epson XP-2100). Both printers work fine and the DCP-7056DN prints in duplex mode when required. The Standalone VM and a number of “office-related” VMs are bound by their own internal firewall App VM and the iptables permit cross-comminication between the App and Standalone VMs with firewall on the Standalone VM open for 631/tcp. Telnet between these VMs works. I cannot use localhost:631 on an AppVM since administration requires a logon which, under a standard App VM, is not possible. Consequently, system-config-printer is used. Each App VM can connect to the remote Standalone CUPS server and one can install remote printers using the IP of the Standalone VM. The Make and Model in Print Settings is shown as “Remote Printer”.

The “Remote Printer” configuration does not include or expose the Duplex capability of the DCP-7056DN. I have manually added the option sides=two-sided-long-edge to the printer properties. This is not subsequently shown in the GUI, but is encoded in the /etc/cups/printers.conf file.

No print attempt from any application results in duplex output. However, I can get duplex output using the CLI and lp -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename.

Where is the problem? I suspect CUPS in both this case (an the initial tests showing opc-life-over in an App VM). Is this a CUPS issue by not showing duplex in Print Settings for a remote printer? Is it a CUPS issue by not respecting the options encoded in the printers.conf file? Short of a manually encoded script using lp is there any “cleaner” workaround?

1 Like