Broke fancy R4.2 startmenu

After upgrading to R4.2 and copying the .rpmnew files in /etc/ my startmenu is just blank.
The new fancy menu is gone, and also the icons I had before on R4.1. Now it’s just text.
I couldn’t find the configuration options for the menu. Any ideas?

You can try running qvm-sync-appmenus --regenerate-only VMNAME in dom0 to remake the appvm menus

If you want the new menu back, right-click the panel > add new items. Add a launcher to the menu, and to the launcher you add ‘Open Qubes Application Menu’

2 Likes

Strange, after a reboot the icons are back.

1. I noticed the template switcher is missing in my appmenu.
  2. I cannot find ‘Open Qubes Application Menu’.

I do have a different error atm, so I might do a fresh install anyway. sys-firewall and sys-whonix cannot install packages due to resolving hostname issues which only occurs with qubes-dom0-update but not directly in a terminal in the appvm.
Due to the red/white coloring (missing here) it seems dom0 tries to directly access mirrors.fedoraproject.org. strange

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-desktop-linux-menu
Using sys-firewall as UpdateVM to download updates for Dom0; this may take some time...
Fedora 37 - x86_64                               31 kB/s |  22 kB     00:00    
Fedora 37 - x86_64 - Updates                     42 kB/s |  21 kB     00:00    
Qubes Host Repository (updates)                  18 kB/s | 2.7 kB     00:00    
Package qubes-desktop-linux-menu-1.1.5-1.fc37.noarch is already installed.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
No packages downloaded
Fedora 37 - x86_64                                                                    0.0  B/s |   0  B     00:00    
Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'fedora':
  - Curl error (6): Couldn't resolve host name for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-37&arch=x86_64 [Could not resolve host: mirrors.fedoraproject.org]
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'fedora': Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: Curl error (6): Couldn't resolve host name for https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-37&arch=x86_64 [Could not resolve host: mirrors.fedoraproject.org]

After yet another reboot the icons are missing again…
I guess a fresh installation is coming up

Do you just try what @renehoj say in this post?

I try with it and all was ok for me.
and to restore the new startmenu, i just create a new launcher with qubes-app-menu for the ‘command’ in ‘properties’.
Edit: I seem to remember i had this sort of troubles with sys-gui in 4.1 and using qvm-sync-appmenus and qvm-appmenus commands in sys-gui, then, all went back to order.
Do you try this two commands in Dom0 then reboot?

Do you just read what I wrote in my post?
The post just describes how to revert back to the original xfce appmenu, and I already have that?!
I ran qvm-sync-appmenus as described but it changed nothing.
I’ll do a reinstall, since not able to install packages in dom0 is a bigger problem than not having a fancy appmenu.

I don’t think you’ve got this errors cause by your appmenu…

So if, now, you don’t care about your appmenu, open another tread to explain the new trouble you have.

I don’t see why the color of icons or the lack of them would have anything to do with the problem you have with qubes-dom0-update.

1 Like

Facing similar issue. After rebooting the machine, the Qube manager option disappeared, along with the restore and backup ones.

When trying to open the manager from the panel icon, nothing happens.

Upon further investigations, observing journalctl i get this error, that says I’m missing qubes-qube-manager

And after checking the content of /usr/bin I verified that indeed I’m missing it and also missing qubes-vm-settings

Any advice on how to fix it?
I really like the new menu and would rather avoid reverting to the previous one or reinstalling the os from scratch

avoid […] reinstalling the os from scratch

I don’t know if this will work. This might be the cleanest way to achieve having a properly installed system.

I think the executable is part of the qubes-manager package:

rpm -qf $(which qubes-qube-manager)
qubes-manager-<version>.<os-version>.noarch

Do you also have issues installing packages in dom0? If not, try installing it: sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-manager

1 Like

If you’ve got new questions, those belong in a new topic indeed.

1 Like

For people not understanding: As I looked for the solution myself, i stumbled upon a much bigger problem of not being able to install any packages in dom0 (#3).
@Tezeria your answers were very rude and didn’t help at all, in fact it was quite the opposite of what I was looking for.

I was thinking about opening a new thread or even a github issue, but decided to ask mods to delete this thread instead.
Repeating to open a new topic if I’ve got a new questions doesn’t help either.
I did a fresh install and now all the described problems are gone. This is a much cleaner and faster solution for me.

Mods asked for this thread to stay open so others can still reply.

Apprecciate the feedback. Manually reinstalling qubes-manager did indeed resolved the issue.
Few question on that.
What could be the cause of it completely disappearing after the update? And how could I figure out if there’s other “default” missing packages?

I’d also appreciate if you could send me the output of this command on your qubes machine to compare it with mine:

ls /usr/bin | grep qubes

here you are

qubes-app-menu
qubes-backup
qubes-backup-restore
qubes-bug-report
qubes-create
qubesctl
qubesd
qubesdb-cmd
qubesdb-list
qubesdb-multiread
qubesdb-read
qubesdb-read-bool
qubesdb-rm
qubesdb-watch
qubesdb-write
qubes-dom0-update
qubesd-query
qubes-global-config
qubes-guid
qubes-guivm-session
qubes-hcl-report
qubes-input-sender
qubes-input-trigger
qubes-log-viewer
qubes-new-qube
qubes-policy
qubes-policy-admin
qubes-policy-editor
qubes-policy-editor-gui
qubes-policy-lint
qubes-prefs
qubes-qube-manager
qubes-template-manager
qubes-update-gui
qubes-vm-boot-from-device
qubes-vm-clone
qubes-vm-create
qubes-vm-settings
qubes-vm-update
X-wrapper-qubes

I haven’t had any problems since I do a clean install of 4.2. This command output must be ok :wink:

1 Like

Thank you.
I have almost all of them, with the exception of qubes-input-sender and qubes-input-trigger

When trying to install them, I get Error:unable to find a match :person_shrugging:

As of today, beside those two, I found that I was missing two other package, xfce4-notifyd and qubes-manager, and had to (re)install them.

1 Like