Bliss OS no internet connection

I have installed Bliss OS as a standalone vm, but there is no internet connection.

I also tried Android x86 in live mode and there is internet connection out-of-the-box.

There is no option to configure wi-fi in Bliss OS either. But I know Android x86 can be configured via terminal when trying to set up custom Whonix workstation:

But the problem is there is no wlan0 when executing ip a only eth0

I cannot boot Bliss OS in regular mode, I have to choose VirtuaBox option from the boot menu, so maybe that is the problem?

1. Which NetVM do you have connected to the standalone VM?
  2. Which network connection do you use on your device WLAN or LAN?
  3. Do you have an internet connection in other app VMs?
  4. Which IPs does the dom0 command qvm-ls -n return?
1 Like

Friendly reminder that the topic os this forum is Qubes OS, not Whonix, not Bliss OS.

Please make sure to keep the conversation centered on the Qubes OS aspects of the question (like the first reply :+1:), otherwise the topic will be closed.

VPN VM

WLAN

Yes

For Bliss OS specifically?
IP: 10.137.0.9
Gateway: 10.137.0.24

1 Like

Unfortunately I am not familiar with this OS, but perhaps you should try “sys-firewall” as “NetVM” and not the VPN Qube.

However, this is very important, as the output of qvm-ls -n your-blissOS-vm IP: 10.137.0.9 Gateway: 10.137.0.24 should be entered in the Network Manger of the StandaloneVM. Without this option you will not be able to establish a network connection.

Good morning, sigma! I hope you still trying to fix this issue, let me explain you the steps I followed to allow Internet on my Bliss OS qube!

First choose a Bliss OS .iso. I recommend not installing Go version but that should not be a problem. I installed Bliss OS normal 15.9 if you want to install the same version

Download Bliss OS and its sha256 file and check both checksums are equal, just to avoid possible strange errors.

Prepare Bliss OS qube, with enough space (almost 8GB), give enough ram (almost 2gb) don’t include qube in memory ballancing, and ensure the internet qube is sys-firewall, very important because ip address, gateway and dns need to be assigned to the qube. Save settings until you can see in qube settings that in net qube section, IP, netmask, gateway and virtual dns are being assigned, very important!

Install Bliss OS. I recommend you to prepare partition for OTA updates. I have no idea if necessary, but worked in my case. I also recommend installing grub2 initializer. Also i recommend creating partition with dos tag instead of gtp tag if asked (when creating the partition)

Next follow this steps to boot Bliss OS in a qube (maybe u know but just to write down all steps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piYcKnwpKPE

When booted, try to open Smart Dock and give requested permissions. Is not mandatory, but will make things easier

Next open apps menu and find one called “Bliss Ethernet Manager”. That’s why i told u to check checksums, if checksums are correct, this app might be installed, which is the key here. Open the app

Change the IP Assignment to “Static”, change IP address to the same qube IP assigned address with mask (e.g: ip: 10.0.0.4, mask: 255.255.255.255. Then you write IP Address: 10.0.0.4/32), change Gateway address to the one assigned to the qube (e.g: 10.0.0.1), and add both DNS Addresses separated with a comma (e.g: 10.0.0.2,10.0.0.3). Finally press “Interface Down” button (if nothing happens, try the “Interface Up”, but should be “Interface Down” correct). Bliss OS should be restart, and you might see in notification area that no WiFi option is available but Internet instead. Try to open any page in the browser, it might work!!

I hope this thread is not much Bliss OS specific, the key is simply using the Bliss OS ethernet app and assign the same qubes addresses

Hope this works to you, let me know!

Did reply worked?

I put your comments in a guide, added some clarifications, and added some of my own findings. It’s at:

I’ve asked that it be turned into a wiki page. Once that happens you will be able to edit whatever you want on it.

I use Bliss OS 16.9.6 and I don’t see an app called Bliss Ethernet Manager, but was able to get internet using virtwifi. The boot parameter VIRT_WIFI=1 enabled the VirtWifi network in the VM which you can change to Static and enter the same network information assigned by Qubes.

At least that’s what worked for me.

Oh fine! Hope this helps other people trying to establish internet connection in Bliss OS

Oh, didn’t know that one, maybe that app was removed in most recent versions because of nobody found it useful. I will take in account if I install that version, thanks!

I added a link to your networking technique to the guide:

Version 14 does not seem to have it either. It seems like it might be only version 15 that has the “bliss ethernet manager”.

Unfortunately I’m not able to watch the video. Could anyone please provide the steps as text?

Ok. I just added a brief summary of the video to step seven of install instructions here:

1 Like

Thank you for the guide and for adding the summary!