Black screen during installation of Qubes 4.1.2

Dear community

I am using this laptop:

Acer 5 Nitro

17.3", (IPS), 2560x1440 Pixel • 32GB RAM, DDR4 • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 6.0GB • 1TB SSD • HDMI, 1.0 GBit/s, Wi-Fi 6 (802.11 ax), Bluetooth 5.0, USB 3.0 • Weight: 2.7 kg • Webcam, 720p (HD),

I used to install & run Qubes OS 4.1.0 on this laptop without any problems whatsoever.

When Qubes OS 4.1.1 came out I spent days and days trying to get the installer to work and finally gave up when someone recommended to simply revert back to 4.1.0 and then just do all the updates/uprgades.

Now I tried my luck again and Qubes OS 4.1.2 still can’t do what 4.1.0 could do. There must be another way than to always install an ancient version of Qubes and go through all the hassle and do all the updates and install new templates, etc.

I am getting a black screen

Not asking for VNC because we don’t have a network

And then nothing happens.

I tried different USB sticks which did not fix the problem (which I thought it wouldn’t because the laptop is fairly new (from 2021)) form these instructions: Installation troubleshooting | Qubes OS

Secure boot is off.

nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off
 noexitboot=1 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau --- intitrd.img

These lines added to the end of grub (seperately) also did not have any effect.

Anybody had the same problem and was able to fix it?

Did you try Qubes OS 4.1.2 installer with kernel-latest?

Yes, tried all combinations.

But I might have found the solution by replacing the

quiet

with

module_blacklist=nouveau

I got to the installer and it is now installing. After everything is done and the USB stick is removed I will report again on whether it worked or not.

It is worked, could anybody from the Qubes OS support team please add this to the knowledge base for installation problems.

Thanks for sharing what solved your issue @linuxfan! I can’t add it to the knowledge base, but I marked your post as the solution so that folks with the same question can find it more easily.