Attention designers: What drawing tablet are you using with Qubes?

I need some kind of drawing tablet solution that will work with Qubes. So far, I simply cannot get the sys-usb to play well with a Veikk tablet.

If you are using a tablet of some kind that works well with Qubes, please let me know the make and model and the config you used to get it to work with sys-usb.

Thanks.

3 Likes

The XP-Pen works out of the box with qubes os. I’m not sure what model I have, but I can find out later.

5 Likes

Can you quickly drop in here the name of the model?

@Emily did you pick a brand/model of drawing tablet and started using with qubes os since you started this thread?

No. Qubes is no good for drawing tablets. Mine works out of the box in any Linux but not in Qubes:
Screenshot_2023-10-20_12-22-07
It isn’t possible to use it. Due to the Qubes extremist USB policy. I do this on another device (Debian bare metal install), just as my usb-printer. There will be a solution, but the solution for my printer will only work on a desktop with PS2 keyboard and mouse because I would loose keybourd and mouse. The Qubes developers don’t seem to realize that PS2 is obsolete. All computers use USB keyboard and mouse. Qubes is supergood for online security but is the worst OS possible for designers.

Can the problem be specific to your model/brand?

Here someone else reports XP-PEN brand has at least a model that works out of the box: Attention designers: What drawing tablet are you using with Qubes? - #2 by VPeterson

That’s because you’re passing it to sys-usb, if you pass it to dom0 directly you won’t experience that problem.

I have a Wacom drawing tablet, and pass it through to a Qube specifically for its use. I run Openboard with this tablet and it works well. Best of luck to you!

1 Like

Do you mean by this phrase, that you have edited the /etc/qubes-rpc/qubes.InputTablet file to the following:

sys-usb dom0 allow
$anyvm $anyvm deny

?

I’m using Wacom intous s (2018, model CTL-4100).
It works ok, but I need to pass it directly to specific qube if i want to have pressure sensitivity.

Do you mean “attaching” to the specific qube, using the “Qubes devices” tray icon/button ?

Yup, that.
Sorry, I should have been more specific :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

By doing that way, do you get to see the where the cursor points at on the computer screen, while using the drawing tablet? Some users have reported that when they attach as USB device to their drawing qube (using the Qubes devices tray icon/button), that they weren’t able to see their cursors on the screen, that they were able to see the cursor only while drawing.

No, I do not see where the cursor points at on the computer screen.
But I do see it on specific drawing programs that present current cursor location on canvas as small circle like in gimp, which is enough for me.

One option i used in the past is to just boot HVM with ubuntu in full screen, attach drawing tablet to that qube, and then use drawing software there. That allowed better drawing experience for me as I could see cursor location of that HVM and also have pressure sensitivity.
Not the perfect solution, but it works.

1 Like

Nothing like that actually. I just allow it in qubes-devices gui as needed :wink:

1 Like