Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401IV-HA112R 14"

Installation instructions

1. Use ISO Qubes-4.1-20210117-x86_64.iso from here: Qubes OS openQA: qubesos-4.1-install-iso-x86_64-Build20210117-4.1-install_btrfs@64bit test results
  2. Make sure secure boot is off.
  3. When booting to install, select “Install Qubes OS 20210117” and press e.
  4. Add nouveau.modeset=0 at end of row 4 (after quiet), press Ctrl+x.
  5. Finish installation and boot into OS.
  6. Optionally create usb qube since this must be done manually but add exception for keyboard at early boot: USB qubes | Qubes OS
  7. Since kernel 5.4 has some limitations (no wifi, hdmi etc.) download 5.11.4-1 via another computer from: Index of /r4.1/current-testing/dom0/fc32/rpm/ (both kernel-latest for dom0 and kernel-latest-qubes-vm for vms)
  8. Transfer files to laptop and to dom0: Redirecting…
  9. In dom0 terminal install each package using dnf install filename.
  10. Set new kernels as default.
  11. Restart and you are done!

Remarks

The important things work:

• Wifi
  • Sound
  • HDMI
  • USB (internal & external)
  • Fedora 32

Works sometimes:

• Mousepad (can require extra restart to start working)

Not tested:

• Bluetooth
  • Microphone
  • Suspend
  • Fingerprint reader

Attachments

Qubes-HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC_-ROG_Zephyrus_G14_GA401IV_GA401IV-20210312-153852.yml (996 Bytes)

1 Like

Thank you @Alethia for your HCL report!

It is now part of this pull request:

… and will be merged by the website maintainer soon.

2 Likes

Thank you for the report, soon…this laptop will be my daily driver. My question is:

Thank you.

Actually I think secure boot is not supported by Qubes at all: Secure boot support · Issue #4371 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Regarding the rog-core lib, from the readme it says that it is obsolete and has been replaced by asus-linux / asus-nb-ctrl · GitLab which supports kernel 5.11. I haven’t tried that though.

Thank you for your answer. I’ll report soon when the laptop is arrived.

@alethia is there pgp signature for this iso? it is possible to do this iso instead for G14 Signed Q4.1 alpha iso - #6 by marmarek ? you are recommending the 20210117 build the url i add is 20201014 build. why did sushi not give a signature? btw do i need the .yml file what is in it? thx

@alethia one more inquiry is very exact 5.11 files needed to install are kernel-latest-5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.src.rpm & kernel-latest-qubes-vm-5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64.rpm or is there more to install? i was not in full understanding of #7 point you made.

There’s no signature for the test builds, I just used the plain ISO file. Haven’t tested the signed ISO but it might work.
I’ve tested with other kernels since and 5.10.21-1.fc32 also works. As long as you install one of those newer kernels you should be fine. #7 is about where you find and download the kernel.

let me be more exact in my asking of the second question again. the correct and only kernel files to be installed are

kernel-latest-5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.src.rpm
kernel-latest-qubes-vm-5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64.rpm

or is there more kernel files to be installed? basically i am wanting to confirm the exact names of the kernel files to be installed. thx @alethia for answering my other inquiry about pgp.

one more thing also- what is the .yml file used for?

I used the following kernels only:

• kernel-latest-5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64.rpm
  • kernel-latest-qubes-vm-5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64.rpm

I didn’t use any yml file, which file are you referring to?

1 Like

this .yml in the bottom of the post at “Attachments” section. im seeing these at the bottom of hcl reports and wanting to know what they are.

It is the actual HCL report, see here: Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) | Qubes OS

1 Like

i apologize to ask this much but i am trying for more certainty- i asked the community about getting a updated 4.1 iso with signature Identifying Latest 4.1 iso & PGP Sigantures Should Be Made Always - #3 by mash and @deeplow and @fepitre has directed me to Index of /qubes/iso/ do you have any understanding if this most recent copy 20210410 will be sufficient for this hardware complexion? in theory from what i have read from them both this is a newer version of the openQA version you have linked in the HCL report. would you consider this a better option to attempt installation with?

No idea. Nothing stops you from trying, though.

The builds from @fepitre are probably more trustworthy: QubesOS 4.1 Signed Weekly Builds

1 Like

good day @altehia i am wondering if there is a method to verify the kernel files? is there any location to download with signatures or digests? everything else is operating with the installation flawlessly. thx for all your hardwork :slight_smile:

Can’t help you out there unfortunately. I haven’t found the signatures/digests myself…

1 Like

@alethia i am not certain but maybe these are the same packages? https://www.kernel.org/ maybe a forum moderator or the great @deeplow would know?

Sorry. I don’t know either.

1 Like

any tactic you are aware of for reducing resource management? after testing R4.1 the power consumption is very high. on a full charge doing simple tasks battery the battery will not survive longer than 45 minutes. any recommendations for reducing power consumption? the hardware should handle qubes with ease but my fans are blowing like a tornado.

Sounds like a good question for a General Discussion. Unfortunately, I’m not familiar with them.