Arch linux template error building

Hello, I have qubes os 4.0.4 I am trying to install arch linux but it fails in make qubes-vm with the following error

/bin/bash: line 1: 3: Bad file descriptor
make[2]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-archlinux/Makefile.archlinux:149: dist-copy-out] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile.generic:197: packages] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:265: vmm-xen-vm] Error 1

Hi @aka0kuro ,
Welcome back on the forum :slight_smile: .

Are you following the Building the Archlinux Template guide?
If yes, you should be in the 5th step, on the $ make qubes-vm command.

Ideas and questions:

• make qubes-vm failed in your use case, try the individual make commands (next in the guide), so make vmm-xen-vm
  • read the final part of the guide (from Debugging the build process to the end, including known issues)
  • what is your appVM builder template (fedora-33, fedora-34, fedora-33-minima, other?)
  • what is your Qubes-OS version ? (4.0.4, 4.1.0-rc1)
  • read the build log
  • try to understand which file got a bad file descriptor (log + Makefile.archlinux:149)
  • check the free disk space in the builder appVM (df -h)
1 Like

Thanks for your answer, if the bug is in the make qubes-vm point, and tried to introduce the following command make vmm-xen-vm and the answer is the same. I have plenty of disk space. I use Qube OS 4.0.4 and appVM Builder is Fedora 34, from the other questions I can’t tell you because I don’t know where to look. I’m new to the system.

Ok.

The build log file name is available on the start of the build:

-> Building vmm-xen (archlinux) for archlinux vm (logfile: build-logs/vmm-xen-vm-archlinux.log)

Check-it.

If you see the sudo: effective uid is not 0, is /usr/sbin/sudo on a file system with the 'nosuid' option set or an NFS file system without root privileges? message then check the sudo: effective uid is not
section of the build guide, then make remount and make vmm-xen-vm .

I checked [1], it works for me with the above fix.

[1] Note that I use Qubes-OS 4.1, the other is same as you.

Hi,
I cannot pass the step 4 of the guide (make qubes-vm)
Qubes 4.1.1, buider VM Fedora-36
builder.conf made with setup script (same values as dislayed in the guide, except Qubes version). Tried both minimal and “full” Arch distribution, same result

I’d appreciate any help/hint how to solve it.

builder.conf
Output of make:

[user@arch-builder qubes-builder]$ make vmm-xen-vm
Currently installed dependencies:
createrepo_c-0.20.1-1.fc36.x86_64
createrepo_c-0.20.1-1.fc36.x86_64
debootstrap-1.0.127-1.fc36.noarch
dialog-1.3-41.20220117.fc36.x86_64
dpkg-dev-1.21.9-1.fc36.noarch
git-2.38.1-1.fc36.x86_64
perl-Digest-MD5-2.58-479.fc36.x86_64
perl-Digest-SHA-6.03-1.fc36.x86_64
python3-sh-1.14.2-4.fc36.noarch
rpm-build-4.17.1-3.fc36.x86_64
rpmdevtools-9.6-1.fc36.noarch
systemd-container-250.8-1.fc36.x86_64
--> Archlinux preparing build chroot environment
--> Archlinux prepare-chroot-builder
  --> Installing archlinux build root:
--> Archlinux prepare-chroot-base
  --> Bootstrap chroot environment may not exist, calling 00_prepare.sh...
--> Archlinux 00_prepare.sh
  --> Unbinding INSTALLDIR...
umount: /home/user/qubes-builder/cache/archlinux/bootstrap/mnt: no mount point specified.
make[1]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-archlinux/Makefile.archlinux:88: /home/user/qubes-builder/chroot-vm-archlinux/home/user/.prepared_base] Error 1

I have the same problem and can’ t find any answer in the forums.

make vmm-xen-vm fails to build:

umount: /home/user/qubes-builder/cache/archlinux/bootstrap/mnt: no mount point specified.
make[1]: *** [/home/user/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-archlinux/Makefile.archlinux:88: /home/user/qubes-builder/chroot-vm-archlinux/home/user/.prepared_base] Error 1

I use xen 4.14.5 and a fedora 36 template with plenty of free space as well following the archlinux guide in the documentation. Would love to paste some logfile here but my $HOME/qubes-builder/build-logs only has .gitignore in it.

Maybe I can look for something else? If anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be most gratefull.

kind regards

@sodomak @snot1 This issue has already been reported, and there’s a PR waiting to be merged, however you can easily fix it yourself by modifying the file that was updated in the PR.

1 Like

ok, thank u equbes. I’ ll have a look.

have a great day.

I can confirm fix works.
Thanks!

1 Like