Applications Launches and then Disappears

Using latest stable release + KDE.

left desktop on overnight, in the am. I closed chromium then launched it again. the app appeared on the task bar briefly, then disappeared. restarting the Qube fixed it.

Anyone else experience this?

1 Like

Most likely this is an issue sepecific to the operating system the qube is running. Which one are you using? Debian or Fedora?

Did you install chromium according to the instructions: How to install software | Qubes OS ?

(note made title more concise, but feel free to adjust it)

Hi deeplow, using debian and im not sure i followed the instructions 100%. I do shutdown cubes and restart them as a matter of practice to let changes ripple through. I’m not sure that accomplishes the same. I noticed the same problem last night. It was specific to chromium. in this appvm only chromium would fail to launch.

I have 32GB of memory and 7 qubes running with the default 4G memory allocation.

Let me know which step specifically you have having issues with. Qubes takes time to learn.

Thanks for the help deeplow. I recreated the appvm. I dont seem to be having the problem anymore.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread. I seem to have the same issue now with libreoffice.

I’ve followed the doc install instructions. ie add the app to the template, shut down the template, add the applications in the qube of interest, launch the qube, launch the app.

in my debian template I can launch libreoffice. In my workappvm I cant. I can see the librecalc launch on the taskbar but it quickly disappears.

I created a new debian appvm and the same behavior exists.

using 4.04 and I have 64G of memory

Any troubleshooting pointers would be appreciated

Launching libreoffice7.1 from the template console works. from the appvm “command not found”

so its not installed in the appvm

I use Debian templates (obviously) and haven’t encountered this problem.
I usually work form the command line, but I’ve tested with a new qube
starting from the Menu, and everything works just as expected.
Have you changed the default memory allocated to your workappvm?

Open a terminal in the workappvm, and check to see if libreoffice is
running - use ps aux to see the running processes.
Try to start libreoffice from the command line. If
you see an error message, just try again (This is, I think, linked to
the spurious Qubes warning about the window creation.)
I should say that I use KDE, but cant imagine that makes a difference
here.

Thanks for the reply. I did increase my appvm memory to 8G. I can run libreoffice7.1 from the debian template console. and get a javaldx : could not find a java runtime environemnt. Libre office runs and i can open librecalc.

in the appvm from the console I get a command not found error when trying to run libreoffice7.1

It appears that the appvm did not inherit properly from the template.

I too use KDE. the app menus are created for the libreoffice suite in the appvm so kde tries to launch the app which give you the brief appearance on the task bar.

Im pretty convinced that the appvm does not have the libreoffice executable.

Thanks for the reply. I did increase my appvm memory to 8G. I can run libreoffice7.1 from the debian template console. and get a javaldx : could not find a java runtime environemnt. Libre office runs and i can open librecalc.

in the appvm from the console I get a command not found error when trying to run libreoffice7.1

That tells me you aren’t using a Debian package.
Even bullseye only has 1:7.0

So how have you installed it? (Whatever you have done you shouldn’t have
done so - it runs against the Debian principles.)

Check in the template to see where it is installed there, and then check
inheritance at

All is well in my qubes world. Thanks a bunch unman.

I had installed a .deb pkg from the Libreoffice website instead of doing just an apt install in the template.