AppImage added to Application List but won't execute program

I downloaded an AppImage, made it executable with “chmod +x”, and I’ve been able to create a .desktop file. I’ve added the file into /usr/share/applications/, along with the AppImage in there too. I’ve also updated and synced the AppMenus in Dom0. Next, I shutdown the TemplateVM and booted up the AppVM. The software shows in the startapp menu list but when I click it, nothing happens.

Here is the .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/256x256/picocrypt.png
Name=Picocrypt
GenericName=Picocrypt
Comment=File Encryption
Exec=/usr/share/applications/Picocrypt.AppImage

it could be FUSE related issue, since i have it too. but try runing it via the terminal and see what you get in response.

1 Like

Do you get an error if you start the app from the command line?

No errors. The AppImages start fine if I double click them or run from terminal. I just to know how can I get them to execute after being added to the VM’s Application List

Open a terminal in the vm and check if the full path launches the app:

$ /usr/share/applications/Picocrypt.AppImage

Yeah, just tried and it runs

It finally started working! I guess I had to restart the entire PC and not only the TemplateVM and App VM. It works now. Thanks

1 Like

How did you (1) add the .desktop & .appImage files to the /usr/share/applications/ directory? and (2) updated and synced the AppMenus in Dom0 ?

When I type “$ /usr/share/applications/Picocrypt.AppImag”
I recieve the following error messgae:

[user@fedora-37 ~]$ /usr/share/applications/Picocrypt.AppImage
*(picocrypt:1056): Gdk-CRITICAL *: 23:19:03.953: gdk_atom_intern: assertion ‘atom_name != NULL’ failed
*(picocrypt:1056): Gdk-CRITICAL *: 23:19:03.953: gdk_atom_intern: assertion ‘atom_name != NULL’ failed

Any ideas???