AP Linux Standalone Qube

i think the opposite because hvm is hardware-assisted virtualization should be more secure than phv (paravirtualization) which is using software to provide virtualization interface

Perhaps you are contrasting HVM and PV? My understanding is that PVH more secure than both. Consider the following from the Qubes docs:

By default, every qube runs in PVH mode (which has security advantages over both PV and HVM), except for those with attached PCI devices, which run in HVM mode.

source: Standalones and HVMs | Qubes OS

1 Like

i didnā€™t found why, so letā€™s assuming that

Thanks guys, all good learning for me.

More details about the virtualization technologies: Are we safe because weā€™re a relatively tiny, niche OS? - #11 by fsflover.

Hello everyone, this conversation died out sometime ago, but I have some new news to now addā€¦
Just by chance I have discovered why my standalone qubes were shutting down before the installation process was complete, initially I had been leaving the memory settings as default: Initial 400 Mb, Max 4000 Mb, but when I change the Initial Memory setting to 4000 Mb the installation process carries on right through to the end, I have tried this with a few different OSes and it has worked for all.
Unfortunately I am now faced with a new problem, when the qube is restarted I get the following messages:

Booting from Hard Diskā€¦
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

Booting from Floppyā€¦
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device.

I have tried this with a few different OSes and the result is always the same, I can see in the Qube Manager that the software has been installed into the Qube by its Disk Usage, but for some reason it will just not boot, any ideas?

If it is not too late, on which of the available drives did you install
the OS?
How did you utilise the available disks?

Thanks for the reply, your question started me thinking and I realized it is possible I may have installed the OS into the wrong partition.

Solved: This time I changed the settings before loading in the OS and set the system storage to 32gb so there would be no mistaking it, still had to change the initial memory setting, but now I have Ubuntu booting as it should.

Many thanks :slight_smile: