Anyone can help walkthrough a FIrewall configuration?

hello i have read the doc about firewall and also some forum thread for firewall but i think I’m seriously too dumb to understand it :frowning:

so the problem is, i have installed chia blockchain application inside standaloneVM.

then when i run the app it say not sync, i suspect the problem is the firewall settings, since i already did port forward 8444 in my modem and router (necessary port for it to sync). then i change standaloneVM connecetion to sys-net. and it is syncing. it probably 100% misconfigured firewall right?

so the question is, is there any one here kind enough to give his/her time to walkthrough me to forward / open port 8444 for this chia app inside standaloneVM ?

I install debian-10-miinimal template for to be used by sys-firewall. and then the connection is working now btw i haven’t able to understand how to configure port forwarding in firewall.

it’s weird the connection is success without having configuring port forwarding in firewall… and it even get more weirder since i check the 8444 port using portchecker.co and other site they said 8444 port is closed. this makes me really confused how the hell it can connect even it closed.

(by the way using ubuntu from other laptop and same internet connection, port 8444 is open when checked, but with qubes its closed)

Yes, it is likely that your firewall settings were causing the issue with syncing the Chia blockchain application in your standaloneVM.

To forward port 8444 for the Chia app inside your standaloneVM, you will need to access your router’s settings and configure it to forward incoming traffic on port 8444 to the IP address of your standaloneVM. The process for doing this will vary depending on the make and model of your router, so you will need to consult your router’s documentation or do a quick search online for instructions specific to your router.

Here is a general outline of the steps you will need to take:

1. Log in to your router’s web-based interface.
  2. Look for a section labeled “Port Forwarding” or “Virtual Server.”
  3. In the “Port Forwarding” or “Virtual Server” section, you will need to add a new rule that forwards incoming traffic on port 8444 to the IP address of your standaloneVM. You may need to enter the IP address of your standaloneVM manually or select it from a list of connected devices.
  4. Save the changes and reboot your router.

Once you have completed these steps, your router should forward incoming traffic on port 8444 to your standaloneVM, allowing the Chia blockchain application to sync properly.

Please note that if you’re using a cloud provider, you will also need to configure the firewall settings on the virtual machine to allow incoming traffic on port 8444 as well.

Please also note that you may need to make sure that the standaloneVM is set to a static IP, if it’s set to DHCP (dynamic IP) the IP address might change, and the port forwarding rule will not work.

If you still have difficulty, you can learn more through this guide. Chia port forwarding | How to open ports for Chia network