Anti evil maid USB hangs waiting for Qubes LUKS partition on internal SSD

I followed the instructions on the github readme for setting up aem on my bios install of qubes 4.0.4, and successfully got all the way through tpm re-ownership, usb flash drive creation, and removing /boot (on /dev/sda1) from /etc/fstab, but after rebooting to the flash drive, it hangs, with the message “waiting for /dev/disk/by-uuid/” After looking some more I realized that the qubes documentation mentions USB 3.0 isn’t supported yet under known issues. Does this mean only usb 2.0 flash drives would work, or since my laptop only has usb 3.0 ports I’m just out of luck?

it mean you need a usb 2.0 controller
since your laptop only has usb 3.0 ports it mean there is no usb 2.0 controller

1 Like

Ah, alright. I suppose it was worth a shot.

1 Like

Not sure which computer you have. Mostly USB 2 or 3 is set in firmware, and except for a hiccup in some OS, both usually work. I see the note that a Lenovo x230 has two USB 3 Ports and one USB 2 port. That computer was released in 2012. More recently the USB 3 will downgrade to accomodate USB 2. But I only have a limited experience. I know nothing of what Install “Always” requires.

Might look in BIOS if you are trying to do an install, might be an option to set in BIOS/EFI.

If it was me, I would have done something wrong in how I put the ISO on the Flash Drive causing problems, not whether it is USB 2 or 3.

It Panasonic Toughbook CF-54 MK2 (Panasonic Toughbook CF-54 Mk. 2)

Well, that’s what I was thinking. In my mind, the “usb 3.0 not supported” would prevent the AME usb from booting, but that worked just fine. It seems like documentation & discussion about particular AEM setups is sparse, so I was hoping someone else had some insight.

maybe i’m wrong in find there problem cause the

i’m just answer olw question

old

not so correct, “prevent me from making the aem bootable usb” doesn’t make sense here, is should be “the “usb 3.0 not supported” would prevent me from making the aem usb booting”

True, I edited the post to correct the wording

There is a “Legacy USB” option which is enabled.

is not that option

Thanks to PPC for cleaning up my lack of vocabulary.

I asked which computer you have to see whether I might be familiar with some of its options. I do not know anything about it. The method I have read of Anti-Evil Maid used to be only Installing some thing like Heads. I am not sure if the particular computer you have is compatible with using the particular AEM module you are trying to use. Might ask on GitHub site for your model computer, go through all the list of things mentioned on GitHub readme. Like TPM is version 1.2, and must be already owned. A lot of things that offer ways to fail.

Curious, have you used the drive that you are trying to install to before? Am I correct to assume it is an SSD? I have seen times when my computer - Install USB could not find a ‘new to the computer’ SSD. My workaround. Try not to hurl while using a Windows Install USB to go as far as format SSD drive. Then the computer, and the Linux USB will see the ‘new to the computer’ SSD.

Anyway, I am into only changing one thing at a time. Perhaps, and you might have done this already. Install Qubes onto computer, without any AEM module.

If this is your first dance with Qubes, does this computer have Virtualization turned on?

PPC sounds more knowledgeable than myself. I should back out. and let you two see if you can find problem.

I’m also lack a lot of vocabulary and grammar too

AEM require Intel TXT, Head doesn’t have TXT fully

that because the SSD is not formatted, you can do that easy with gparted or disk

it might yes

computer ‘‘expert’’ for “4 year”

TXT is enabled in BIOS

Yes

1 Like

Look at HCL about that model of computer, see if there any known hiccups?

Virtualization being turned on in the basic firmware, does not always mean Virtualization is working, or recognized. I am guessing you have already installed Qubes onto this computer once. before, and except for the AEM issue it is all working. ???

Correct

There was no entry in the HCL, so I submitted one.

let me read it in raw
iommu yes
no tpm
bios V2.00L24
1 usb controller
ram 16268mb

It has TPM 1.2, and anti-evil-maid-tpm-setup output said ownership was successful

?!?

tpm:
‘’

I’m not sure why qubes-hcl-report didn’t see it, but qubes-anti-evil-maid was able to use it fine based on the program output. Panasonic’s documentation on this laptop does mention that it can optionally be configured/updated to TPM 2.0, but this laptop is configured for TPM 1.2

1 Like

Specifically, the Infineon TPM SLB 9660, firmware version 4.43.257.0

tpm doesn’t help here
note:
AEM is not compatible with (U)EFI boot.
You MUST set a TPM owner password