ANN: Qubes shared folders likely changing implementation of Plan 9 file server

Hello, folks! This is half an announcement, half an RFQ/A regarding a possible backend switch in Qubes shared folders.

Today, the QSF software uses diod (GitHub - chaos/diod: Distributed I/O Daemon - a 9P file server) — a computer program written in C — to serve shared folders from a server VM to any client VMs that have been authorized to access those folders. diod seemed like the only viable alternative at the time, but it has some serious performance limitations and (C being the chief concern) security is a concern as well.

To that effect, virtiofsd (shipped by Fedora, well-maintained, and supported by many distributions) seems like an ideal replacement. The Linux kernel ships a client module that allows VMs to mount virtiofsd shares, and many high-performance high-end virtualization solutions rely on virtiofs in general to share files between hosts and guests. Yes, most of that code is also C but, unlike diod, it seems like that code’s maintained and a lot of coattails ride on the success, performance and security of that entire attack surface.

Ultimately, my advance Fedora 40 builds — all my software is now being built and tested regularly against several distros these days — have bubbled up this issue which seriously concerns me:

[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z] In function ‘npc_gets’,
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z]     inlined from ‘main’ at diodshowmount.c:136:12:
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z] ../libnpclient/read.c:219:19: error: writing 1 byte into a region of size 0 [-Werror=stringop-overflow=]
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z]   219 |         buf[done] = '\0';
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z]       |                   ^
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z] diodshowmount.c: In function ‘main’:
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z] diodshowmount.c:84:10: note: at offset [-2147483648, -1] into destination object ‘buf’ of size 80
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z]    84 |     char buf[80], *host, *p;
[2024-02-23T20:09:42.787Z]       |          ^
[2024-02-23T20:09:43.043Z] lto1: all warnings being treated as errors
[2024-02-23T20:09:43.297Z] make[2]: *** [/tmp/cchqHbsc.mk:2: /tmp/cccNv7ZR.ltrans0.ltrans.o] Error 1
[2024-02-23T20:09:43.297Z] lto-wrapper: fatal error: make returned 2 exit status
[2024-02-23T20:09:43.297Z] compilation terminated.
[2024-02-23T20:09:43.297Z] /usr/bin/ld: error: lto-wrapper failed

so (if you know anything about security and C) that acts as a dealbreaker to continue using diod as a backend for the near future.

I’d like to know from the users of Qubes shared folders what they think about this possibility.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful opinions, ideas and suggestions.

3 Likes

Hello!

I wanted to try to set up the virtiofs solution manually, to see how it behaves, but I am not sure how you could expose a block device from the socket open on the “server” qube using virtiofsd. All solutions I find on the internet are using virtiofsd on the host and creating a block device in the VMs with qemu…

Any idea?

Thanks

Virtiofs is for file systems, not block devices.

Sadly, I spoke too soon; virtiofs is KVM only.

I will be phasing out diod anyway. I have turned my attention to a different Plan 9 FS server which is written in Rust and uses Tokio for asynchrony. I can write 100X times the amount and quality of Rust than I can write C, and Rust is simply eons ahead of C anyway. I already began working on it today to make it function through file descriptors.

I am also motivated to create a battery of conformance tests to ensure data safety too.

One problem I see with 9p is that the protocol has no provision to invalidate caches in the client, which means servers can’t tell clients “this or that inode has changed or this memory segment is no longer valid”, which in turn means it is simply not safe to enable any caching. This sucks because uncached directory listings are slow AF. I need to figure out if there is something I can do about that.

Highly based update:

I found two Rust implementations of Plan 9 file serving:

1. GitHub - pfpacket/rust-9p: Tokio-based asynchronous filesystems library using 9P2000.L protocol, an extended variant of 9P from Plan 9. : Works, is Tokio async, but doesn’t have support for using file descriptors as communication channels (prerequisite to use it via qrexec). I have added support for that, and contributed to upstream in this pull request. Regrettably, the implementation seems a bit messy, upstream seems dead, and there are no tests I can speak highly of.
  2. GitHub - google/rust-p9 : Ugh. I have to hold my nose to use code from these freaks, but at least this specific code base works, has tests (even fuzzing, it appears), and uses good practices. The server implementation doesn’t actually have a server executable you can run, so I have written one compatible with file descriptors as communication channels.

The server code will be pushed shortly to the Qubes network server repo. After pushing the code, I will work on RPM packaging (it’s Rust code— it’ll be my first time doing that) so it can be distributed properly.

This is awesome! This means we can finally say goodbye to diod!

**Update: the code has been pushed to a branch. the code has been tested, pushed and tagged on the repository.

3 Likes

Update: got the builds going! Soon I’ll have published packages.

Version 0.3.0 is released. New build instructions are available on the README.md file.

3 Likes

I’ve looked at it. IIUC, it uses a protocol from Plan 9, which supposingly supports symlinks etc. This can be cool, but I’d like to avoid symlink support, because:

1. It adds some attack surface (e.g., symlinks pointing out of the shared directory)
  2. I don’t need it for my use case

It’s tempting to use combo of sftp-server + sshfs.

• We can deny symlinks on server (probably -P symlink and maybe -P readlink)
  • Whitelist (-p) is also supported by sftp-server
  • We have follow_symlinks or transform_symlinks on the client

However:

• I am not sure how to restrict the available directories.
  • You might have another good reason not to use SFTP.

Quick test without QRPC (it can be easily adjusted to use QRPC):

server.sh

#!/bin/bash

(
	printf "%q " server.sh "$@"
	echo
) >> /tmp/log

# TODO: restrict dir; -d can be bypassed
/usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -d ~/Downloads -P symlink

client.sh

#!/bin/bash

mkdir -p ~/mp
sshfs ga@foo:/ ~/mp -o ssh_command='/home/user/server.sh' -o follow_symlinks

The problem is that the client bypasses directory restrictions. I could use chroot, but then:

a. The chroot needs to contain sftp-server and all (not that many) the dependencies.
b. The SFTP server needs to run as internal-sftp within SSHD

OK, I have server.sh that runs in chroot. Not nice. It leaks some data (usually non-private) like /usr, but that might be a non-threat, especially when sharing between qubes based on the same template. It also doesn’t behave nice when executed repeatedly, as it creates multiple mounts.

#!/bin/bash
# safety settings
set -u
set -e
set -o pipefail

# params
jail=/jail-documents
shared=~/Documents

# Just for debugging
(
	printf "%q " server.sh "$@"
	echo
) >> /tmp/log

# Create chroot env
sudo mkdir -p $jail{,/{lib64,usr,shared,dev,etc}}
sudo touch $jail/dev/null $jail/etc/passwd $jail/etc/group
for path in lib64 usr dev/null etc/passwd etc/group; do
	sudo mount --bind "/$path" "$jail/$path"
done
sudo mount --bind "$shared" "$jail/shared"

# Run SFTP server in chroot
sudo chroot --userspec=user:user $jail \
        /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server \       
        -d /shared -P symlink

EDIT: Maybe using sshd and internal-sftp would be a more clear solution. The sshd shouldn’t be directly exposed to client, the interface should remain the same.

Symlinks on 9pfs are client side. The symlink content is not followed server side. So, unlike other protocols, it is safe.

Patches welcome if you still want to turn symlinks off.

Much larger attack surface.

I tried this first before i went for 9pfs.

Oh man, you did all this work to avoid trying a safe Plan 9 file system.

You could have just read the 9p server code, or experimented briefly whether symlinks were read server side on 9pfs.

What did you learn?

It depends on your threat model and scenario. There are two kinds of systems:

• server – runs file server plus potentially some other software (Syncthing, document indexing, …)
  • client(s) – it probably runs some other software that works with the file contents; Note that client can be also outside of QubesOS, just some machine with Syncthing.

There are multiple potential attack scenarios:

1. Most obvious: attacks on protocol level, just directly between server and client.
  2. Client exploits a vulnerability in server’s software (Syncthing, document indexing, …)
  3. Client or server exploits vulnerability in client’s software. Yes, a client can indirectly attack other client.

So, just the fact that symlinks are followed client-side might not be enough.

SFTP source code is not 2100 LOC. It’s got all the SSH stack below it. Much much more complex than 9pfs. If you don’t understand this, sorry but I have no time to explain it.

If I ran whole SSH server and exposed it, I would agree. But that’s not what I’ve done. I don’t use SSH as transport, although sftp-server is usually (but not in my case) used this way. That’s because the SSH transport (authentication&encryption) isn’t needed for inter-qube communication

Well, I consider using the SSH server in order to be able to use internal-sftp, but even in this case, I wouldn’t expose it. The SSH client and SSH server would run on the same qube, and just the unencrypted SFTP communication (without the SSH transport layer) would be exposed to the client.