Android-x86 degoogle

I managed to install android-x86_64-9.0-r2 by following the guide notes/InstallingAndroid.md at master · unman/notes · GitHub. Now I try to de-google it. Does anyone managed to disable it partially or fully?

Also any idea how to make cut&paste work there?

You might want to try BlissOS. It comes degoogled with aurora store and microg. I was able to manually partition and install 15.8. It’s able to boot if i select the Vbox/VMWare option at boot. This is farther than I could do a couple months ago, however I can’t get an internet connection.

Anybody know how to configure networking in android?

Ok, so I did more digging. I found this tread qvm-usb: Device attach failed for Android 6 in Debugging mode · Issue #2202 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub it says it’s possible to connect via ADB over network, but I can’t find the the option mentioned in the “Developer Options”. Maybe image is not modern enough, no idea.

Has anyone managed to connect to android-x86 via adb over network?

Yes, BlissOS promise sounds awesome. I tried 14.3-x86_64 but could’t make it work. I will try the updated version, than. Is there any tutorial that helped you run it?

I just installed it like a regular hvm like I would a linux distro. I made two partitions a boot and a main partition though I’m not sure I needed to create an extra boot partition. I formatted the main partition as ext4 and it seemed to create the boot partition automatically. I’m going to try the bliss 14 now.

ps. Networking in android-x86_64-9.0-r2 works fine for me out of the box - chrome loads the pages, but I still struggle with adb over network. Just checking some adb related tuts atm.

I preformed the same steps to install on 14.10 but no luck. Still trying to figure out networking on 15.8

I think I get bit closer to sort the problem, as I realized I always connected to VPN. So both android and other VMs are behind VPN. I plan to set up / use some form of Qubes internal only network without access to the Internet. If anyone have any hints how to set it up, other than sharing the link to Networking | Qubes OS that would be appreciated.

Maybe it would be better to focus on android-x86_64-9.0-r2, as it’s already have working network. I have an idea how to degoogle it, but working ADB is needed. It’s already rooted, so probably degoogle steps may be performed without adb, but adb would be handy regardless.

Ok I managed to connect via adb to android vm :smiley:

I did that by spinning another VM which is used as a net proxy, (disconnected from the internet atm) between android and adb vm. Than I set iptables forward rule as described here https://groups.google.com/g/qubes-users/c/HGAT6DmuQkM/m/HppSX1TkBgAJ

Now I will try to de-google shi* out of Android. After that I will connect proxy to the net, and that would be it. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

ps. What I noticed, after few minutes the Android window get blank, and entire VM shutdowns, which is very annoying. The good part is the state is preserved. Does anyone found solution for that?

Here is a list of packages I removed with related commands. So far everything is working well.

adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.vending
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.example.android.rssreader
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 org.android_x86.analytics
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.egg
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.webview
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.calllogbackup
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.dreams.basic
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.gallery3d
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gsf.login
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.backuptransport
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.onetimeinitializer
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.ext.services
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gms.setup
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gms
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.restore
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.setupwizard
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gsf
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.printservice.recommendation
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.feedback
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.partnersetup
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 package:com.google.android.gsf
adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 1 package:com.google.android.gsf

I tried to remove com.google.android.gms as well but got:
Failure [DELETE_FAILED_DEVICE_POLICY_MANAGER].

If you know it’s safe to remove any of other apps let us know.

Please keep in mind that these commands not remove apps from the phone by per se, but rather disable them for provided user. It’s still possible to reinstall any of them via adb from iternal storage.

BTW with do all the respect to the guys who prepare that iso, package org.android_x86.analytics doesn’t looks good at all, but I guess privacy wasn’t on the top of the priority list for them. Easy to remove anyway.

ps. I still testing but, it looks like the problem with black screen and auto shutdown disappeared after removing bloatware.

edit: False alarm, the problem is still there