An idea on Intel ME removal: use clusters to avoid the 30 minute shutdown

Any way you can explain this coreboot thing to me?

coreboot is an opensource firmware, meant to replace the proprietary BIOS of your PC

Should I get it even though my system is PSP-less and already has IOMMU?

Yes, because your proprietary BIOS might have its’ own backdoors - such as Computrace etc (all this stuff was possible even before the ME/PSP introduction, it’s just it had to be software-only). And, as you can expect, to switch to coreboot you may have to change your PC, since the coreboot firmware supports only a limited number of PCs, and the chance that your current PC is supported by coreboot is too small.

I suggest getting Lenovo G505S or ASUS A88XM-E - both of which are AMD-based, coreboot-supported, PSP-less and support IOMMU

coreboot by itself isn’t doing anything to replace the ME - that’s a goal of a different project, me_cleaner

What is your goal with this?
What could you possibly be doing that would requires modern hardware but could be interrupted every 30 minutes?
Are you traveling back in time to brute force online passwords back before most places only gave you a few attempts?

Seriously though what are you trying to accomplish because there are probably far easier ways to get it done.

Why not just buy an old server with virtualization and no Intel ME?
DO you need multi threading? If you dont An old Pentium 4 at 6-7Ghz would be faster than a thread ripper.

Can you please explain what you are actually trying to do because your request doesnt make much sense. Can you not just get two computers and use one air gaped?

I personally have my good computer with no internet connection and I transfer files to it and edit video and do vfx on it.
Me can not teleport a signal if it has no internet connection as far as I know.

You talk about power consumption so are you trying to do all this on a laptop so your battery lasts longer? If so why not just get an old server without ME and a laptop without ME and remote into the server to get a lot of CP, ram ect while your laptop runs at basicall idle?

If you explain what you are trying to accomplish we could probably give you a simple rational solution that doesnt involve reinventing the wheel.

Thanks for your reply.

The goal is to remove the ME on modern CPUs.
I want to use a modern CPU!

I agree, I think so. I just don’t have enough knowledge :egg:

This is just an idea I came up with on a whim.

Yeah, that’s probably the best way for now.
Better yet, use a typewriter! :wink:

Well if you are just trying to remove ME just to do it you can find many good guides on youtube.

Defcon ME in the searchbar should get you off to a good start but it is going to require some effort.

I 120% feel your pain bro. It’s a tough pill to swallow but you have to swallow it. The government and the corporations own your hardware, and their grip will only get stronger in the years and decades to come. The days of free, simple designs were a good time we will both always cherish, but they’re gone. Nowadays it’s too easy to plant spyware on even the smallest, most inconspicuous devices… possibly easier in some cases than not installing spyware.

The freedom of yesteryear lies within hardware of yesteryear. I’ve already begun investing in DDR2-era hardware to hopefully last me the rest of my stay on the planet, and I suggest anybody who cares about their digital privacy do the same.

2 Likes

I strongly disagree. Have a look at Precursor and many other similar projects.

What is that Precursor thing for? I read the entire product description and I still can’t tell whether it’s supposed to be a phone, a PDA, or something akin to a yubikey but with a screen. Guess I’ll take your word for it since it uses RISC-V.

Since I made that post I’ve become familiar with other PowerPC-related tech that looks very promising. In fact I already decided my next computer will not be x86 now that I know there are actually viable options, even given the relatively higher prices. I still fear these companies are too small in scale and visibility to be safe from malignant big tech, or worse, malignant legislation. If they forced the hand of big tech Intel and AMD, what hope is there for anyone else?