AMD Ryzen 9 / ASUS MOBO: Qubes 4.2.0 can only boot with 1 monitor

I’m noticing two weird behaviors when attempting to boot Qubes 4.2.0 on a system with an AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D and ASUS motherboard:

1. The decryption splash screen is not visible if the boot process occurs when two or more displays are active. If I have two monitors active, I get no video output and have to resort to adding ‘nomodeset’ as a kernel parameter. This issue was not present on Qubes 4.1.2. Once Qubes 4.2.0 has finished booting, I can safely activate my second monitor without losing video output.

2. After typing my encryption password, I must unplug my USB hub to prevent my system from being reset. Having a USB hub or extra USB controller connected when sys-usb is started causes a system reset/restart. My current workaround is to unplug my USB hub right after typing in my encryption password. Once I reach the login splash screen, I am safe to reconnect the USB hub. This issue is present on both Qubes 4.2.0 and 4.1.2. However, I did not have start having issues with 4.1.2 resetting until after applying updates about a month ago, so I suspect the issue was introduced with a fairly recent kernel.

Is anyone else experiencing these two issues?

1 Like