After upgrade 4.1.1. --> 4.2 : Screen switches off after 10 min inactivity although screensafer is disabled

Hi,
My screen switches off after 10 minutes and I have to use my password to work again. All I know is, that it is not caused by the xscreensaver and apparently also not by my energy options. With 4.1.1. I did not have this problem. What can I do to switch it off or where do I deactivate this option in 4.2.?
Thank you
Mol

Did you upgrade in-place or did you have clean reinstall?
Maybe you’ve some options? Like in Power Manager you’ve configured only “On battery” options and not “Plugged in” options? Or something in Advanced tab in XScreenSaver settings?

Did you upgrade in-place or did you have clean reinstall?

in-place

Power Manager you’ve configured only “On battery” options and not “Plugged in” options? Or something in Advanced tab in XScreenSaver settings?

I double checked. In Xscreensafersettings I get the errordialog:

xscreensaver-settings: 19:20:03.44: running xscreensaver-getimage-file: No such file or directory

not sure if that helps any. I dont want a screensaver so an image I also dont need

Seems to be some issue with in-place upgrade, there was another report about it:

Maybe there was some configuration options for xscreensaver in Qubes OS 4.1 that are no longer used in Qubes OS 4.2 but in-pace upgrade script didn’t handle them correctly.
You can try to search the config files in dom0 for this xscreensaver-getimage-file occurrence and then try to fix the configs:

sudo grep -lir "xscreensaver-getimage-file" /etc

For reference, I don’t have any mentions of xscreensaver-getimage-file in dom0 /etc.

Maybe you can also reinstall xscreensaver and purge the old configs, but I’m not sure if it’ll help.

Or you can just enable “Presentation mode” in Power Manager tray icon to disable the screensaver altogether if you don’t need it.

this returns nothing

All I know is, even with 4.1 my screen switches off after ten minutes (and, because I have to use audio from HDMI, I also lose audio…no playing music in the background!). It doesn’t lock, but I cannot stop it from switching off after ten minutes.

I have the same effect on a new install of R4.2.0.

Did you guys go through all the tabs of both the XScreensaver-Settings app as well as the Power Manager app to check for undesired settings? Note that many of the tabs in “Power Manager” in particular have “radio-panels” where you can select the settings presented for either battery or AC-Power.

Is anyone reporting this issue here using major non-standard dom0 modifications, such as KDE?

What happens when “Presentation Mode” is enabled as suggested by user apparatus?

I think I solved this problem, at least in my case:
in Power Manager → Display : Switch on “Display power management” *) and set “Blank after” to “Never”
Be sure you do this were you need it: battery or plugged or both

*) this was switched off (while the “Blank after” was set to “Never” also) so I assume some other more deeper? mechanism took over which has a limit of 10 minutes… what this is, I don’t know, but it doesn’t seem to be xscreensaver.

PS: I have a standard setup especially regarding dom0

It seems indeed to be the case.
This worked for me: v4.2 - XScreenSaver & XScreenSaver Settings not opening window · Issue #8266 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub