Advantages of new clean install of 4.1

Dear Qubes community,

I would like to ask what is the advantage of clean installation 4.1 vs upgrade 4.0.4? Am I correct that the difference will be primarily in LUKS2 (does not affect security)? And that in 4.0.4. is it necessary to manually update whonix and fedora? Is there no other difference in clean installation and upgrade?

Thank you

Another difference is, if your old system is somehow compromised, new install can fix that, especially if you use new “Paranoid mode” backup restore option: Compromise recovery in Qubes OS | Qubes OS.

I think that the docs should mention that a clean install is recommended.

I mean which parts of the OS is not possible to fully upgrade by OS upgrade from 4.0.4 to 4.1 and it is needed to make clean install. For example you will not be able to have LUKS2 by upgrade, you must make clean install of 4.1 (according my understanding). Are there more things which needs clean install?

If you wish to switch to a different storage pool driver for your VMs, you’ll usually have to do a clean install.

storage pool driver is unclear to me, will it be a difference between 4.1.1 and 4.1.2? Thanks.

4.1.2 is not 4.2.0.

4.1.2 is just a patch release.

1 Like