Ryzen 5950x, ASUS ProArt B550-Creator

Remarks

(edit) Suspend not working, PS/2 mouse and keyboard not working at the same time, work separately

Haven’t had any (other) problems during daily usage.

Attachments

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'desktop'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  ASUS
model: |
  ProArt B550-Creator
bios: |
cpu: |
  AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
cpu-short: |
  Ryzen 5950x
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Root Complex [1022:1480]
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] [1002:67df] (rev ef) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
MSI Radeon RX570  
network: |
  Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)
  Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'yes'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    5.10.76-1
  remark: |
    not seen any trouble - all working
  credit: |
    CrisF
  link: |
    none

---
5 Likes

Good to know, what an interesting coincidence that i was just searching to see if others have 5950x running on qubes, and then you post. Looking to upgrade myself from a 2700x, just to have more spare cores for multiple running VMs

1 Like

I also couldn’t find info when researching so thought posting might help.

Hello @CrisF ,
please share also our experience of trying suspend.
Thank you very much.

1 Like

And with a PS/2 port :slight_smile:

Ok, tried suspend. It comes back to a pixelated kind of screen. I have been able to log back in, although not every time, but after 15~30 seconds the screen goes black and return to the pixelated screen, though still logged in. After clicking on any button back to log in.

1 Like

PS/2 port works but can’t get mouse and keyboard working at the same time. Individually mouse and keyboard work. Using a splitter cable 2 keyboards work at same time but 2 wired mouses don’t work when both plugged in together (neither of them). Mouse and keyboard don’t work together with splitter cable.

I tried a Microsoft Wireless Model 1045 PS/2 mouse & keyboard. The keyboard works, the mouse doesn’t connect with PS/2. This mouse & keyboard can also connect by usb and both mouse and keyboard work through usb.

1 Like

Let me know if there’s anything else I can test out.

Hi @naverone, I edited my original post, suspend not working and PS/2 has a few quirks I posted more about.

Thank you @CrisF for your HCL report, which is online now.

3 Likes

@CrisF did you have any issues with install or did it go well?

I was not able to get 4.1 or 4.0.4 to boot no matter what I tried when using the ProArt B550 Creator & 5950X along with an AMD GPU (XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 CORE).

I was able to get it installed without any extra boot flags using Qubes-20220205-kernel-latest-x86_64

It may not install with C-state enabled so you can set it to Disabled if you can’t get the installer working:

In BIOS: Advanced > AMD CBS > Global C-state Control = Disabled

I also have Legacy USB disabled but not sure that matters.

I used the troubleshooting menu option but that shouldn’t matter.

Did you have to modify yours?

I am planning on building a dedicated Qubes OS machine with a Radeon RX 6600. What CPU do you now use and does multi-monitor work for you?

No, but I am still running that development build and haven’t tried updating because of how much of a pain it was to get the install done to start with.

I still use the Ryzen 5950x but I don’t recommend you go that route because it does not have an on-chip GPU. You should get a processor with integrated graphics (or a cheap GPU for the dom0 OS).

The GPU is only going to be used for the main system OS, not passed through so you won’t really be able to do much and things even as simple as YouTube can sometimes lag. I’ve heard there’s fixes for that but I don’t mind it so much.

I do not have any issues with multi-monitors, I run 3 actually off my RX 6600.

If I had a second GPU, or integrated graphics, I could pass-through that card to a VM and then take advantage of it but it would likely require plugging monitors into both cards and using the monitor input switch to toggle to the other input source. I’ve considered picking up a cheap card for the main OS but not really liking the idea of having to switch input sources.

I’ve heard there’s ways around that, perhaps GitHub - gnif/LookingGlass: An extremely low latency KVMFR (KVM FrameRelay) implementation for guests with VGA PCI Passthrough., but I haven’t tried any of those solutions. I would be very interested if you find a way to do it that doesn’t require toggling monitors to different input sources though.

The thing is I have a 12700K on this machine and only one screen of mine is working, is that because I have a 3070 Ti installed? The 12700K has Intel UDH Graphics. I just really need Qubes OS to work with all my DisplayPort ports. I have 4 and am planning to run two ultrawides with on-each side a vertical screen.

Why you ask? Well I need to have at least 20 VMs running in a lab environment and having that many screens makes my life a whole lot easier.

What you’re saying is that I can just get a set-up without a videocard and just a 13900K for example, and work off that? Any suggestions for the CPU?

I think you should start a new thread about that with your hardware and how you have the devices attached. Integrates graphics would likely go through built-in mobo HDMI for instance while your 3070 you’d plug directly into and it should auto-detect those monitors.

I have no idea why you are only able to get one monitor to work but suspect it has something to do with improper GPU configuration or driver issues. It could possibly be that they just aren’t enabled in System Tools → Display but beyond that, I wouldn’t know where to tell you to look.