4k sector testing

Any specific peculiar manual setup needed or cryptsetup now does the right thing? Brtfs is well aligned out of the box? Some status updates?

Edit: changed name of post: there is no such thing as 4k templates under itel testing repo. Bad bing

1 Like

Hi, could you please tell us where did you find those 4k templates? I haven’t found any at Index of /r4.2/ . I even saw something in the opposite direction: Force 512 LUKS sector size by marmarek · Pull Request #28 · QubesOS/qubes-anaconda · GitHub

Houla. Bad bing.

I was misinformed thinking they landed under itl testing which is far from being true.

Will resume reading the forum posts and the github issue from where i left it: Support 4k storage · Issue #4974 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Edit : SSD maximal performance : native sector size, partition alignment - #51 by Insurgo

Current solution is manual cryptsetup + brtfs setup SSD maximal performance : native sector size, partition alignment - #51 by Insurgo

Let me link to unman’s post :Can AI tools help answer Qubes OS support questions? - #6 by unman

I think R4.2 should already include newer cryptsetup that can auto scan for disk’s LBA sector size and choose the right luks sector size. But I think currently btrfs qubes setup on 4kn drive isn’t really taking advantage of 4kn, unlike lvm-thin. And you need to “do esoteric things” building 4kn templates to make lvm-thin setup on 4kn work: VMs don't boot on 4Kn drive · Issue #7828 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

1 Like

This is where we are today https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4974#issuecomment-1677417926

1 Like