4.2 Ethernet only working with qubes.skip_autostart

Hi,

When I boot normally, I have no internet. The network icon spins but does not connect (ethernet). However, with the qubes.skip_autostart kernel entry, the internet does work.

When I execute dmesg in sys-net, these logs are repeated:
igb 0000:00:06.0 ens6: Reset adapter
igb 0000:00:06.0 ens6: igb: ens6 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX
igb 0000:00:06.0 ens6: igb: ens6 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX

There is also a repeated message Detected Tx Unit Hang

Further, I have been unable to recreate the context but in one instance the network manager returned that connection activation failed because the device ens did not have a carrier.

I tried the detaching, reattaching with ‘qvm-pci attach sys-net --persistent --option no-strict-reset=true dom0:05_00.0’, and rebooting but that did not solve the issue. I also used the GUI to detach and reattach.

I also configured sys-net(and childern) not to start on boot, and that didn’t work either.

I don’t think it is a driver issue since I can connect when I boot with skip_autostart.

Thanks!!

Are you running sys-whonix?

I just had my wifi net qube connect to wifi, but then nothing that connected to it could ping anything through it. This happens intermittently; I just have to recycle sys-net-wifi. This time, though, it failed six times in a row. I finally realized I should not have been able to restart it with sys-whonix running…and stopped sys-whonix. After which sys-net-wifi began working.

Somehow sys-whonix wasn’t working properly (it should have been connecting through sys-net-wifi) but it was interfering with sys-net-wifi.

So if you’re running sys-whonix, shut it down. Then try sys-net again. Maybe it’ll turn out you’re having the same problem.

Tried that earlier. Thanks!