HCL - MSI GF63 Thin 11UC-1276US

Installed by using nouveau.modeset=0 as a parameter while booting from LiveCD, as well as turning off Secure Boot and Hyperthreading before the install. After the first part of the installation was over and computer rebooted, needed to switch into tty2 for the setup screen to load.

Qubes itself works on this computer, though several issues exist. Video behaves correctly while running on laptop screen, but any kind of multi-monitor setup leads to bugs and freezing. Waking from sleep mode occasionally takes close to a minute. Backing up and restoring from backup tends to lag the system. Occasionally audio will glitch out if connecting and disconnecting headphones, though this is a problem I’ve had with other Qubes installs.

Overall, functionality is barely acceptable if no other options exist for running Qubes. However. if multiple monitors are a requirement, I would suggest avoiding this model altogether.

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'Notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  '2.0'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
model: |
  Thin GF63 12UC
bios: |
  E16R8IMS.10E
cpu: |
  12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12450H
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation 12th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:4629] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P GT1 [UHD Graphics] [8086:46a3] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  NVIDIA Corporation GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile] [10de:25a2] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Alder Lake-P PCH CNVi WiFi [8086:51f0] (rev 01)

Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
certified:
  'no'
versions:
  - works:
      'partial'
    qubes: |
      R4.2.0
    xen: |
    kernel: |
      6.1.62-1
    remark: |
      Works acceptably, though installation requires workarounds. No multi-monitor functionality.
    credit: |
      FIXME
    link: |
      FIXLINK
2 Likes

Thank you for HCL report and additional information. Can you please also fill a detailed report based on this template:

Example of user providing the answers is here. The more information the better, it may be helpful to other users, thank you.

Thanks for the HCL report. I just opened a pull request to add it to the HCL database.

Best,

Flavio

2 Likes