HCL - Asus ROG Strix G15 G513RM

Before Install

• Secure Boot disabled

Install notes:

• Installed on an external HDD because there’s not enough space on the NVMe drive and I’m not planning to use Qubes as my daily driver any time soon.
  • The device used has 16 GB RAM.
  • Installed using the default configuration, only without the fedora-38-xfce VM (except for the default VM.)

After Install

The OS booted successfully in the end, after a couple of reinstalls due to qrexec timeouts on updates (idk, maybe it’s a mistake on my part for not considering how much RAM is being used every time I start a VM).

Working fine:

• Ethernet
  • Audio playback
  • Touchpad
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse USB (other USB media not tested yet)

Probably need a lot of investigation, or a bit more tinkering

• Online video playback (although it’s choppy after an update, other means of video playback not tested yet)
  • Locking from xscreeensaver (works after a couple of reinstalls)
  • Starting VMs (there are a lot of cannot connect to qrexec errors probably due to the RAM not being enough, but it’s frequent enough to consider being careful about starting VMs to a certain degree.)
  • The WiFi adapter sometimes isn’t detected on some sessions.

Other info:

I just recently installed Qubes OS so I don’t really know what I’m doing wrong that caused some things like the lockscreen to work after a couple of reinstalls. On my first install whenever the screen is locked, I can’t go back to the system so I have to force it to shutdown. What’s weirder is judging by the system tray, the WiFi adapter seems to be detected after a couple of reinstalls. I haven’t tested the NVIDIA graphics driver, but I can say the AMD integrated GPU works fine out of the box. Other than that, I’m impressed that the OS works well.

YML Contents:

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'Notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  'yes'
tpm:
  '2.0'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
model: |
  ROG Strix G513RM
bios: |
  G513RM.327
cpu: |
  AMD Ryzen 7 6800H with Radeon Graphics
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h-19h PCIe Root Complex [1022:14b5] (rev 01)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  NVIDIA Corporation GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] [10de:2520] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Rembrandt [Radeon 680M] [1002:1681] (rev c8) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  MEDIATEK Corp. MT7922 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter [14c3:0616]
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10ec:8125] (rev 05)
memory: |
scsi: |
  Expansion HDD    Rev: 1901
usb: |
certified:
  'no'
versions:
  - works:
      'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
    qubes: |
      R4.2.0
    xen: |
    kernel: |
      6.1.62-1
    remark: |
      FIXME
    credit: |
      FIXAUTHOR
    link: |
      FIXLINK
2 Likes

Thank you for HCL and additional information. Can you please also fill a detailed report based on this template:

Example of user providing the answers is here. The more information the better, it may be helpful to other users, thank you.

Hey, hanks for the feedback and draft. Here are a couple more details, since I wasn’t aware that a draft exists.

Installation

• I have no problems with the installation, as usual I have to disable secure boot.
  • Latest kernel is not required.
  • As far as I’m aware of, there are no additional kernel options required (unless someone wants to tinker around with WiFi since sometimes the WiFi adapter isn’t detected)

Basic input

• Keyboard: Works out of the box
  • External USB mouse: Works out of the box
  • Touch-pad: Works out of the box
  • Touch-pad does support tap as click and scrolling with 2 fingers.
  • Display brightness change shortcuts works out of the box, but sometimes it doesn’t change the brightness (a sort of typical problem with other Linux distros, not just Qubes OS as far as I’m aware)
  • Sound volume shortcuts works out of the box
  • Keyboard led and keyboard brightness change shortcuts works out of the box.
  • Output of xinput --list (as root) from dom0:
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	    id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Asus Keyboard                           	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ASUE120A:00 04F3:319B Mouse             	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ASUE120A:00 04F3:319B Touchpad          	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ASUS ROG STRIX IMPACT                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	    id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Asus Keyboard                           	id=14	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ASUS ROG STRIX IMPACT Keyboard          	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
  • Nothing is PS/2 connected according to the output of xinput --list

Internet and Bluetooth

• Ethernet - Works out of the box.
  • Ethernet cable connection - speed:
    I can get as fast as the connection can go (which is around 10 MB/s due to the ISP’s internet cap).
  • WiFi connection: At first it doesn’t work but it works after a reboot.
  • WiFi connection - speed: slightly slower than ethernet, probably because of latency issues
  • I haven’t tested Bluetooth compatibility since I don’t use Bluetooth on Linux.

Suspend

Now this is where things get a little weird. I broke my install a couple of times because of this. I’m not sure about what my mistakes are. Here are the things I got.

• Suspend/Resume:
    At first it doesn’t work so I broke my install a couple of times because I can’t get back to the user session, but after a couple of reinstalls it eventually works.
  • Resuming the session doesn’t break WiFi

Video

• Fullscreen video drops frames, but the frames doesn’t drop as much when using picture-in-picture mode. I need to increase the VCPU to 6 to reduce the frame drop but it’s still noticeable.
  • I haven’t tested video file playbacks using video players like mpv.
  • I haven’t fiddled around with multiple display configurations.

Audio

• Speakers (sound playback) - I don’t use sys-audio
  • Headphones - Works out of the box, but if the headphone is disconnected before a reboot the speaker is muted.
  • I barely use HDMI so I haven’t tested HDMI audio.
  • I haven’t tested the S/PDIF output.

Fans

• Fans are silent on idle
  • Fans are more silent than on windows, a sort of typical thing for other Linux distros as well

Other

• I haven’t ran a single Windows HVM qubes.
  • I don’t know how to check if CPU boost is working properly. I’ll probably update on this once I know how to reliably check for it.

Specs

1 Like

If you did not create this qube manually yourself then it is not used for sure. sys-audio is mostly for people who want sound from many qubes to be played in bluetooth headphones.

Thank you for details!

Great, I’ll gladly update the HCL report

I have an update around the thing with the WiFi adapter. The adapter seems to be working when I switch the template for the default disposable VM to Debian instead of Fedora, so that the template for sys-net is changed to Debian. Thanks

1 Like