Thinkpad P1 Gen 5

Remarks

This model has an integrated Intel GPU (no discrete Nvidia GPU). The hardware works surprisingly well with Qubes OS.

• Graphics works with kernel 6.1 (and newer). With kernel 5.15 graphics were extremely slow.
  • WiFi work with kernel 6.1 (and newer). WiFi doesn’t work with kernel 5.15. In order to make WiFi work with newer kernels, I had to install kernel-latest-qubes-vm (in dom0) and set sys-net to use the newer kernel. Otherwise, there is some firmware issue.
  • Suspend works when set to suspend-to-idle in BIOS. Resume does not work when set to S3 - device suspends but reboots on resume.
  • Sound works after installing alsa-sof-firmware (in dom0).
  • Internal microphone works after installing alsa-ucm (in dom0).

Tested

• sw-raid (with 2 NVME M.2 disks)
  • External screen
  • Trackpoint
  • USB
  • WiFi
  • Internal and external sound (+volume control buttons)
  • Internal and external microphone (+mute button)
  • Suspend
  • Camera
  • Internal display (+brightness control button) and external display

Untested

• Bluetooth
  • TPM
  • Touchpad
  • Thunderbolt
  • SD card reader
  • Docking station
  • Hardware raid controller

Attachments

I put the yml file inline, since I cannot add attachments:

---
layout:
  'hcl'
type:
  'notebook'
hvm:
  'yes'
iommu:
  'yes'
slat:
  ''
tpm:
  'unknown'
remap:
  'yes'
brand: |
  LENOVO
model: |
  21DC000JGE
bios: |
  N3JET37W (1.21 )
cpu: |
  12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12800H
cpu-short: |
  FIXME
chipset: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:4641] (rev 02)
chipset-short: |
  FIXME
gpu: |
  Intel Corporation Device [8086:46a6] (rev 0c) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  FIXME
network: |
  Intel Corporation Device 51f0 (rev 01)
memory: |
scsi: |

usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'FIXME:yes|no|partial'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    6.6.2-1
  remark: |
    FIXME
  credit: |
    FIXAUTHOR
  link: |
    FIXLINK
---
1 Like

One more remark:
the laptop is not compatible with Crucial’s 2x48 GB DDR5-5600 MHz RAM modules.

Thank you for HCL and additional information. Can you please fill the detailed report based on this template:

Example of user providing the answers is here. The more information the better, it may be helpful to other users, thank you.

Installation

• Any problems with installation - Installation with default kernel results in extremely slow graphics and WiFi not working. Installation works fine with latest kernel (>= 6.1).
  • Was latest kernel required? - Yes, kind of.
  • Were some additional kernel options required? - No

Basic Input

• Keyboard - works
  • External USB mouse [if possible to check] - works
  • Touch-pad - untested
  • Touch-pad supports “tap as click” and scrolling with 2 fingers works, - untested
  • Display brightness change shortcuts, - works
  • Sound volume shortcuts, - works (but see audio section)
  • Keyboard led and keyboard brightness change shortcuts, - works
  • Output of xinput --list from terminal of dom0
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 Elan TrackPoint                  	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
  • Check if keyboard and/or touchpad is PS/2 connected (how to check) - keyboard is PS/2. touchpad untested

Internet and bluetooth

• Ethernet cable connection - works out of the box or actions were required? - device does not have wired Ethernet
  • Ethernet cable connection - speed - device does not have wired Ethernet
  • Wifi connection - works out of the box or actions were required? - WiFi works with kernel 6.1 (and newer). WiFi doesn’t work with kernel 5.15. In order to make WiFi work with newer kernels, I had to install kernel-latest-qubes-vm (in dom0) and set sys-net to use the newer kernel. Otherwise, there is some firmware issue.
  • Wifi connection - speed, is reliable over the time? - reliable
  • Bluetooth - works out of the box or actions were required? - untested
  • Bluetooth - shows devices, connection process works, sound output or copying works. - untested

Suspend

• Suspend/Resume works - works out of the box or actions were required? - Suspend works when set to suspend-to-idle in BIOS. Resume does not work when set to S3 - device suspends but reboots on resume.
  • Does resume breaks WiFi, if it does, how to recover it? - works
  • Does resume breaks Bluetooth, if it does, how to recover it? - untested

Video [increase VCPU to the qube before test]

• Fullscreen and windowed video playback of youtube - 720p/1080p/2K/4K in Firefox. Does it drop frames? - works, but not extensively tested
  • Video file playback of file using mpv/mplayer/smplayer - 1080p? Higher resolutions and bitrates? - works, but not extensively tested
  • Multiple displays configuration works (using available DP/Thunderbolt, HDMI or other video ports, - external 4k screen over HDMI works

Audio

• Speakers (sound playback) (was sys-audio used?), - works, but requires alsa-sof-firmware to be installed in dom0. no sys-audio
  • Head-phones via 3.5" jack (works, automatically turns off speakers?) - works
  • Sound output via HDMI - untested
  • Audio-optical (S/PDIF) output - unavailable
  • Internal microphone - works after installing alsa-ucm (in dom0)

Fans

• Are fans silent on idle? - yes
  • Are fans noisier than on Windows/Linux?. If they are, was thankfan or similar software tried? - untested

Other

• Have you tried running Windows 10 HVM qubes? - Windows 7 HVM seems to work, Windows 10 untested
  • Does CPU boost seem to be working properly? - CPU frequency scaling seems to work. CPU boost untested.

Specs:

1 Like

Thank you for answers!

So EFI (BIOS) does support S3 (has such option to set), but it did not work for you? Have you tried newer kernels for dom0 and templates?

Is it somehow difficult to try this?

Any idea what is USB ports and internal USB devices distribution other these 4 controllers?

Yes, if I set the BIOS option to S3, the laptop suspends but reboots on resume. When set to suspend-to-idle, the laptop suspends and resumes as expected. I’ve tested this with kernel 6.1.x and 6.6.2, without any domU running. I’ve seen the same behavior on plain Fedora 39.

Not really, but I’m not using the trackpad and I’ve disabled it in the BIOS. So trying this is a bit cumbersome. I recall that the trackpad worked in plain Fedora 39 and in some test installation of Qubes OS. So I assume it would work if enabled.

This I can test quickly. There are 4 USB ports (2x USB-C and 2x USB-A) and 4 controllers. The controllers have PCI IDs 00:0d:00, 00:0d:02, 00:0d:03, and 00:0d:14. The camera is connected to 00:0d:14.

1 Like