AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
cpu-short: |
  Ryzen 5 5600X
chipset: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Root Complex [1022:1480]
chipset-short: |
  MSI B550-A Pro (chipset AMD B550)
gpu: |
  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590] [1002:67df] (rev c7) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
gpu-short: |
  RX 480
network: |
  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
memory: |
scsi: |
  CT250MX500SSD1   Rev: 022 
  Samsung SSD 840  Rev: BB6Q
usb: |
versions:

- works:
    'yes'
  qubes: |
    R4.1
  xen: |
  kernel: |
    6.3.2-1
---

Remarks

• Suspend/resume half works, it resumes, I have to restart AppVM after resume because they don’t display anything
  • the desktop is very responsive and fast, even 3D programs works (using llvmpipe) to some extent of course (tested with stellarium, openscad, blender, minetest)
  • 144 hz screen works
  • Audio over HDMI works
  • Network works
  • System is installed on a NVME drive (I have 2 of them, not found by the HCL program) without issues
  • keyboard / mouse in USB, working fine

I tried with an NVIDIA 1060 GTX, I had to install the NVIDIA driver to avoid a sluggish desktop and hard reboots, the procedure is complicated and not really secure. I didn’t have audio over HDMI working with this nvidia card. No 144 Hz, locked at 70 Hz

Attachments

Qubes-HCL-Micro_Star_International_Co___Ltd_-MS_7C56-20230619-204704.yml (1.5 KB)

Qubes-HCL-Micro_Star_International_Co___Ltd_-MS_7C56-20230619-204844.cpio.gz (10.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you @solene for your HCL report, which is online now!

I have changed works from yes to partial due to the resume issues you mentioned. I also shortened the remark to “resume issues” because of the table layout. The full information that is important and you have thankfully provided is linked from the table to this thread. Finally I added the common / marketing name of your motherboard to make it easier to find for others.

1 Like

awesome!

On 4.2-RC3, suspend and resume works fine, this is so nice!

i’m looking for hardware and your motherboard MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS seems to work best. especially with this update, do you recommend it?

It works really great, but there is an akward limitation you need to know beforehand. If you add the second M2 SSD, this disables the second PCI express x16 slot!

You can’t use 2 dedicated GPUs when you have 2 M2 SSD

1 Like

thanks, so it’s either two M2 SSD or GPU passthrough? i don’t plan on either luckily.

does Qubes OS struggle with NVMe drives at all or is this a misconception i have?

If your CPU has integrated graphics you could do GPU pass through with the dedicated one if you have 2 SSD.

Sata SSD are pretty good though! Qubes os has no issue with nvme drives.

on a further look, are you using B550-A Pro or B550 Gaming Plus? this thread and HCL are reporting different. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

if you could post a link to the right one, it would be nice.

It’s the MSI B550-A PRO, I don’t know why the hcl is wrong…